Sarcolexia Pewter Glow

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteM

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Primary hybrid, Sarcoglottis grandiflora x Pelexia olivacea. Acquired from a society member friend in 2018, via Leon Glicenstein. I was hoping to snap a picture in full bloom but the lead flowers take so long to mature and open, the older flowers are already starting to fade. Not sure what they are called on the stem of the spike but I love the braided pattern effect of these sheath like structures. I can’t recall what it’s potted in.. I believe promix and a little moss has filled in nicely.

enjoy.

000B9C6D-3EC2-44A2-9430-3610B9B00E3D.jpeg6661B446-A412-4D9D-8B76-1F354C6B038E.jpeg8D0819F9-CF55-498C-B40D-22FA60ED39D6.jpegC6A4B40B-584C-407F-A04A-A6B9120A390A.jpeg

Last edited:
Well grown and lovely . Didn't know the two genus could be bred! Ahhhh only Leon would do such 'Frankensteining'.

Very interesting leaves and flowers. The braids left over are the floral sheaths.

The hybrid name was coined by Leon as Pewter Glow, very appropriate from the looks of these flowers.

Its actually spelled Pelexia olivacea.

Any culture tip?

Last edited:
Well grown and lovely . Didn't know the two genus could be bred! Ahhhh only Leon would do such 'Frankensteining'.

Very interesting leaves and flowers. The braids left over are the floral sheaths.

The hybrid name was coined by Leon as Pewter Glow, very appropriate from the looks of these flowers.

Any culture tip?

Edited, thanks! Will need to remember to update the tag. Medium light.. growing along side the few paphs in my collection, on the edge of the bench. It's potted in ProMix HP with styrofoam peanuts at the bottom of the clay pot. Lots of water. I run water through the pot every evening along with the vandas and phrags. I know of others who sit theirs in a shallow tray of water. It seems to like a larger pot and this was the first time I was able to get two spikes going after increasing the pot size. Probably helps to keep it from drying out. I will be trying a deeper and slightly larger pot after these flowers fade to see if I can increase the number of spikes.

View attachment 25061
One of the parents, blooms are lighter and simpler structure. Where can I gert some Promix?
Looking good. Best source (least expensive) for Promix HP in my area are the hydroponic stores. It comes in very large and heavy bale but sometimes they have smaller bags. I'm also wondering if grodan grow cubes might also work well since they seem to like to be wet. I might move in that direction.

Any culture tip?
Leslie, have you ever heard his talk, "Glicenstein's Monsters?" Lol

Back