Sarcochilus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely. I got a small mericlone of that Burgandy on Ice 'Vovo'. It has been a terrible grower. It hasn't really increased in size. Hopefully, it picks up as it is a lovely flower, as you would expect from the only Sarc to receive an FCC award.

Mine isn’t a vigorous grower-have had it for two years but it’s still a single growth. I used to be a member at the same society as the late Neville Roper who bred this-remember seeing some awesome specimens.

Sarcochilus are very cool plants. Compact with lots of flowers and color for the size. Your countryman Scott Barries (Barrita Orchids) work with reds and yellow and oranges is quite spectacular (in my humble).

Sarcochilus are very cool plants. Compact with lots of flowers and color for the size. Your countryman Scott Barries (Barrita Orchids) work with reds and yellow and oranges is quite spectacular (in my humble).

Barrita Orchids seem to have taken this genus to another level. Not just for colours, but for plants that are easy to grow, and flower profusely with multiple spikes that stand upright. I currently have a red seedling of theirs opening up that is of the most beautiful red colour.

Tomp and emydura. Yes a lot of interesting breeding going on at the moment. I have purchased 20 Barrita seedlings to hopefully start flowering next year.

Had a couple of hartmannii in the past. Lovely plants, free flowering and pretty. Unfortunately had to chuck them when scale took over.

Still not the easiest to find; Sarcochilus fitzgeraldii and hartmannii seem to be the only examples over here. A shame because the genus has some great diversity in flower shape and colour.

I owned a hybrid while living in n jersey, there are a few people in the general nyc region who grow them and occasionally they are disseminated through clubs and sales

I really like the flowers but my plant didn’t flower before introduced scale reduced my collection

Had a couple of hartmannii in the past. Lovely plants, free flowering and pretty. Unfortunately had to chuck them when scale took over.

Still not the easiest to find; Sarcochilus fitzgeraldii and hartmannii seem to be the only examples over here. A shame because the genus has some great diversity in flower shape and colour.
I’m curious about the scale thing. I have periodic breakouts. I douse with alcohol spray and use the yellow sticky traps and they never “take over.” How did yours get out of control?

Akerne in Belgium have a lot of Sarcochilus at the moment including some pretty intense looking reds. Too cool for my (Cattleya) conditions I guess.

Nice, thanks for sharing. They are not really hard to find here. I have killed a few. :( I now know they need a cool dry period and hopefully will not kill the couple I still have.

I have several plants that are growing like weeds, but i have yet to get them to bloom. I can't seem to get them cool enough for long enough to initiate bloom.
If all else fails in getting the temp low enough perhaps try an ice cube or two in the pots each night. I find that an extra burst of light (about as much as they will tolerate) in late Autumn (sorry Fall for you guys) into Winter helps to initiate spiking. As always keep an eye on the roots and leaves to be sure they are happy with the conditions.

Latest posts

Back