Sappy excretion from orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a big Aerides lawrenceana that threw out big inflorescences covered in sap / honeydew / whatever. They are known for doing this, had nothing to do with bugs. The ants loved this plant. And yes, i tasted the stuff. Im not advocating, just stating.

I wish i could find a picture of the thing. Ah-ha. Here it is. Wish i had never gotten rid of it.

Rotationof100_1347.jpg

100_1471.jpg

Wow...I am glad I asked this question then because if I had seen a plant that had that much sugary stuff all over it I would have assumed there was something wrong with it.

I am glad for the information guys. :)

Bluefirepegasus

Heh, good to know - glad someone asked - I wasn't sure what was in the goo on my Phals, but I'm sure it's the same sugary stuff. Explains why my little sugar ant hitch-hickers are crawling back and forth from the Lc (I washed off the spilled hummingbird feeder liquid when it came indoors) to my sugary Phals!:rollhappy: They're easier to squish running out in the open :evil: sorry ants, I don't want them multiplying and moving away from the plants!

As has been mentioned already, any time you see sap on your orchids, especially the leaves, check for pests. Scale and mite colonies can produce visible sap. It is also known that some ants (dont know which ones) will carry, deposit, and 'herd' mites and aphid colonies to insure they have a nice fresh supply of dew to drink.

Even some paphs do sometimes generate sugar exudates on their flowers to some extent

Same Problem

I have the same problem. How can I fix it?

P.S. Its not aphids.:p

I have the same problem. How can I fix it?

P.S. Its not aphids.

It's not a problem and you don't "fix" it. It's a natural occurance of the plant. If you don't like it you can always gently wipe it off or wash it off. But it will just come back.

I believe this sap is a sign of the health of the plant. I reckon that if my plants that produce this sap aren't doing it, there is something wrong with the plant and this usually proves correct.

Yes....after a while I figured it out. hehehe....I had never had a plant do that on me and thought all was lost! :)

I now have another big plant that does it....a big cattleya.

Bluefirepegasus

Not all plants, phrags for example, make sap.

I'm not sure if it's sap or not but normally, after I water my Phrags the next morning I fine "water droppets" on the edges of thier leaves. This is of course part of the plant's respiration cycle. Whether these droppets contain sugar or not, I'm not sure but there is a fine white ring left after the water dries. I personally have not licked the leaves to find out!:) The white residue left behind could be nothing more then a collection of dust and dirt.

Many orchid species secrete sugary sap from extrafloral nectaries like the ones described in this thread. In many cases this trait is thought to attract insect mutualists or organisms that also prey on pests of the plants.

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter did a science project testing the mouth/saliva of cats, dogs and humans to see which had the most bacteria. Not that I give tongue kisses to my dog, but his mouth is cleanest.

Back