Sandwich Day, Sept. 21st.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Next week is busy, not only is Tuesday International Talk Like a Pirate Day (be sure to mark your calendars!) but Thursday, Slashfood is having sandwich day. http://www.slashfood.com/2006/09/13/slashfood-sandwich-day-is-just-over-a-week-away/

I love a good sandwich. I always thought if I had to choose a type of cafe to open it would be a creative sandwich place, that also served soup, really good, a la, Soup Nazi type soups. Chris Schesinger just opened this sort of place here in Boston. http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2006/09/06/the_best_thing_since_sliced_bread?mode=PF

So, what do you all like between a couple pieces of bread?
I love a good tuna melt (I like to make with Dave's smoked albacore tuna), or a BLT made with freshly cooked bacon, tomatoes warm from the sun, slathered with Hellman's mayo (actually that's the only sandwich I consistently like mayo on.) That's a simple favorite.

Probably the most elaborate sandwich I make around Thanksgiving because
it requires real roasted turkey breast (not that stuff from the deli counter). I like it on a good sourdough bread, toasted. You mash up some avocado and use that spread on one slice of bread, spread mayo on the other. On top of the mayo, layer grated sharp cheddar, on top of the avocado, very thinly sliced red onion, then the turkey breast, and a bit of lettuce. I think I had this sandwich in Santa Fe, from Carlos' Gospel Cafe, where it was called the Alice B. Toklas. It's a great sandwich. Mmmm....

Are you hungry yet?

Heather said:
Probably the most elaborate sandwich I make around Thanksgiving because
it requires real roasted turkey breast (not that stuff from the deli counter). I like it on a good sourdough bread, toasted. You mash up some avocado and use that spread on one slice of bread, spread mayo on the other. On top of the mayo, layer grated sharp cheddar, on top of the avocado, very thinly sliced red onion, then the turkey breast, and a bit of lettuce. I think I had this sandwich in Santa Fe, from Carlos' Gospel Cafe, where it was called the Alice B. Toklas. It's a great sandwich. Mmmm....

Are you hungry yet?

Hmm..... that sounds like a great sandwich, but it's missing a critical ingredient to be named after Alice B. ;)

BLT with toasted white bread, almost crispy bacon, romaine, a real tomato and lotsa mayo.

I think the key to the BLT is the tomato. It's my favorite sandwich, but we only have them in late Summer when the tomatoes in the garden are ripe. It's almost impossible to buy a proper BLT tomato at the store.

Mycorrhizae said:
I think the key to the BLT is the tomato. It's my favorite sandwich, but we only have them in late Summer when the tomatoes in the garden are ripe. It's almost impossible to buy a proper BLT tomato at the store.

Agreed! The bacon is pretty key too.

~H (who just came home with 4 (!!) pints of different kinds of heirloom cherry tomatoes. What was I thinking?)

Heather said:
Agreed! The bacon is pretty key too.

~H (who just came home with 4 (!!) pints of different kinds of heirloom cherry tomatoes. What was I thinking?)

Well, they're pretty. It's probably the near-besseae-like color that you couldn't resist. Either that or you forgot to eat before you went to the market.

I enjoy the BLT too, just without the lettuce and tomato.
One of my favorite sandwiches used to be when I worked as a cold chef at a country club and had free reign of the deli section. I would make the Ultimate Club Sandwich out of just about every meat and non-smelly sliced cheese we had available. It would end up being about six inches high and the toothpicks were mandatory.
My favorite, unhealthy sandwich is probably my late night bacon, egg, and cheese. I toast the bread, fry a few strips of bacon, then when the bacon is done fry the egg in the bacon grease. I do my best to allow the grease to soak into paper towels from the bacon and egg...but it always ends up dripping with goodness.

Jon
________
Gsx1100f

Last edited:
Mycorrhizae said:
Well, they're pretty. It's probably the near-besseae-like color that you couldn't resist. Either that or you forgot to eat before you went to the market.

Could you resist?
img0535zk5.jpg

Honestly, I bought the half pint before I went to the heirloom tomato farm (yeah, really, we have one of those, and now it is an hour away from me, so if I'm in the area, I have to stop by!) Last week, they had no cherries. This week, I stocked up!

I am still curious to hear if other's have any weird sandwich combos. Speak up people!

Almost every day at lunch I make a roast beef sandwich on wheat bread. Top it off with leaf lettuce and mustard from the pump thing in the dining hall.

As for FAVORITE sandwich, I love a good chicken parmeasan sub.

My favorite is.

lightly browned roastbeef cooked with a tiny bit of vinegar on a lightly toasted roll with lettuce mayo and muenster cheese. :) (cheese put on the meat while on the grill right before being put on a roll. mmmmmm

Heather said:
I am still curious to hear if other's have any weird sandwich combos. Speak up people!

My grandfather was the king of the weird sandwich combo when I was growing up. Usually it had to do with whatever was left over from dinner, but it also had to do with the fact that he didn't like to wear his teeth! Some of the more common sandwich combos he could be counted on to create:

• sardines. Just sardines between two pieces of bread - nothing else.
  • sardines and mashed potatoes
  • sardines and pinto beans
  • sardines and fried potatoes (are you seeing a pattern here?)
  • cheese and jelly
  • mashed potatoes and jelly
  • peanut butter with sweet cucumber chips (I actually loved this one)
Oh - and there was only ONE kind of bread he ever ate, if you can call it bread. You guessed it: Wonder Bread.

Pappy's gone now, but every once in awhile when I'm chatting with my folks we like to reminisce about stuff like this that made him unique.

Lose the Bacon and Lettuce....

Two pieces of whitebread, Duke's Mayonaise(Is there any other?) Salt, Pepper, Tomato, Red onion slice, and a good old piec of American Cheese!

It's also my birthday, but this year the equinox is on the 22.

I like BLT's. I think I'll be purposely late for work and stopon the way in for a good one on toasted wheat/with cheese.:D

Back