Sanders Pride ‘Golden Boy’ AM/AOS x adductum ‘Nice Guy’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I typically don't care for the sanderianum lip and skinny shoulders, but this cross seems to mitigate that nicely... I'd be a buyer.... :)

Sorry for this dumb question, but is the flower in picture P4 actually on the same plant as P1/P2/P3? It could just be the perspective from which it was taken, but the lip and the petal twisting doesn't appear to match the other flowers.

Well, it's taken 5 more years, but the Sanders Duck is in bloom again. This time, 2 spikes, 7 flowers. Appreciate the previous comments and views, but will still treat this plant as it was named.

Gary
UK

P1 by Gary Dobbs, on Flickr

P3 by Gary Dobbs, on Flickr

P2 by Gary Dobbs, on Flickr

P4 by Gary Dobbs, on Flickr
Gary, do you know whether your Sander's Pride was made with a true stonei or with Paph. platyphyllum? We know that platyphyllum was previously called Paph. stonei var. platyphyllum 'Ruth Kennedy' and some Sander's Pride were made using it. To me your beautiful plant shows the influence of Paph. platyphyllum.

I typically don't care for the sanderianum lip and skinny shoulders, but this cross seems to mitigate that nicely... I'd be a buyer.... :)

Sorry for this dumb question, but is the flower in picture P4 actually on the same plant as P1/P2/P3? It could just be the perspective from which it was taken, but the lip and the petal twisting doesn't appear to match the other flowers.

Yes, all the photos were taken yesterday by a friend of mine. He was trying various techniques with also different lighting so they may appear differ slightly in their appearance.

Gary

Gary, do you know whether your Sander's Pride was made with a true stonei or with Paph. platyphyllum? We know that platyphyllum was previously called Paph. stonei var. platyphyllum 'Ruth Kennedy' and some Sander's Pride were made using it. To me your beautiful plant shows the influence of Paph. platyphyllum.

Not sure on that one. Will email Sam to try and find out.

Gary

Have checked with Sam, and it appears the plant was made wth Paph. stonei var. platyphyllum 'Ruth Kennedy' in the 80's. A good bit of information so thanks for comments and gives more background to the plants characteristics.

Gary

Have checked with Sam, and it appears the plant was made wth Paph. stonei var. platyphyllum 'Ruth Kennedy' in the 80's. A good bit of information so thanks for comments and gives more background to the plants characteristics.

Gary
I thought so. If it was made with Paph. platyphyllum the real name for the "Sander's Pride" is Paph. Fumimasa Sugiyama. In that case your hybrid should not be called "Sander's Duck" but something else. Your tag should read "Paph. Fumimasa Sugiyama 'Golden Boy' x Paph. adductum" unless there is a grex name for this. Ask Sam Tsui: if he doesn't know he can find out. Perhaps there is no grex name.

Good observation! I missed that one lol.

I thought so. If it was made with Paph. platyphyllum the real name for the "Sander's Pride" is Paph. Fumimasa Sugiyama. In that case your hybrid should not be called "Sander's Duck" but something else. Your tag should read "Paph. Fumimasa Sugiyama 'Golden Boy' x Paph. adductum" unless there is a grex name for this. Ask Sam Tsui: if he doesn't know he can find out. Perhaps there is no grex name.

It appears the plant was made with stonei "Ruth Kennedy"in the 80's. Only in the late 90's it said that the stonei "Ruth Kennedy" looked like platyphyllum. As the Sanders Pride was made prior to platyphyllum being discovered, it is not possible for the plant to be renamed. Referred to Sam for this information.

It appears the plant was made with stonei "Ruth Kennedy"in the 80's. Only in the late 90's it said that the stonei "Ruth Kennedy" looked like platyphyllum. As the Sanders Pride was made prior to platyphyllum being discovered, it is not possible for the plant to be renamed. Referred to Sam for this information.
“...it is not possible for this plant to be renamed” = fustian taxonomic lunacy. Not saying YOU are crazy, but that “rule” is asinine.

“...it is not possible for this plant to be renamed” = fustian taxonomic lunacy. Not saying YOU are crazy, but that “rule” is asinine.
Well, it's even worse, when it comes to many albino plants of Paph. species, having been published legitimally or awarded as 'album' and not having all white flowers, but f.ex. white and green ones, where the correct designation would have been alboviride. Allegedly, according to the rulles of botanical nomenclatura, we are stuck with album plants, that really aren't - and which confuse most people, including your truly!

Beside the discussion about its parentage and botanical rules I just want to state......very impressive and well grown plant with a lot of great flowers. Congrats Gary! 👍

Latest posts

Back