sanderianum leaf growth progress

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

IdahoOrchid

A few days ago I started a thread asking about leaf growth:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2697

I questioned whether it was from the base or the tip, especially in my sanderianum since they are natoriusly slow growers.

On 2/18 I put marks with permanent marker on the terminal leaf at three locations: at the junction where the two lower leaves meet and at the junctions where the edge and ridge of the terminal leaf visually met the same two leaves. (hopefully the picture explains this a bit more.

As stated in the previous thread I noticed some movement after only two days. It was slight enough to possibly be paralax or misalignment of my eyes from where I initially put the marks.

It is VERY obvious now and no amount of alignment error can deny that there has been quite a bit of movement and that it is from the base of the leaf as Heather supposed it would be.

The average amount of movement is 5mm (6 at the bottom, 5 at the left edge and 4 at the right edge. All this in 4 days!!!:clap:

Attachments

• Sand-Leaf-Growth.jpg
    Sand-Leaf-Growth.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 47
IdahoOrchid said:
A few days ago I started a thread asking about leaf growth:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2697

I questioned whether it was from the base or the tip, especially in my sanderianum since they are natoriusly slow growers.

On 2/18 I put marks with permanent marker on the terminal leaf at three locations: at the junction where the two lower leaves meet and at the junctions where the edge and ridge of the terminal leaf visually met the same two leaves. (hopefully the picture explains this a bit more.

As stated in the previous thread I noticed some movement after only two days. It was slight enough to possibly be paralax or misalignment of my eyes from where I initially put the marks.

It is VERY obvious now and no amount of alignment error can deny that there has been quite a bit of movement and that it is from the base of the leaf as Heather supposed it would be.

The average amount of movement is 5mm (6 at the bottom, 5 at the left edge and 4 at the right edge. All this in 4 days!!!:clap:

Cool Steven! So you are getting about 1 inch per month. Assume the plant maintains this as a steady growth rate your leaf will be 12 inches in one year.
That will be pretty good won't it?

Now you have a bench mark for growth rate and you can try different things to make the plant grow faster and have a way to judge your results.

All this does is raise more questions in my mind about [again] why it's so difficult to find mature BS sanderianum. I see plenty on eBay 6" to 9" leafspan. and the prices dont seem to be as incredible as before [even compared to a year ago]. :confused:

bwester said:
I'm with Eric on this one, Why no BS sands???

Maybe because people buy all the seedlings from the growers before they reach BS. Thus the grower has no BS to offer.

And not many hobbyists are going to sell a sanderianum that they have had for a decade. At least not for what most folks are willing to pay for a plant.

I don't know for sure. I will let you know as soon as mine does though!! You can be sure of that.

sanderianum is going to bloom on 20-30" + growths. An inch a month is good. New sands are growing faster than older crosses. Large sands tend to be older crosses so more finicky to bloom. New strains are too new so we're still (according to this calculation) 2-3 years out from seeing blooms.

That's my take on it.

Is that total spread or individual leaf?

WOW!!! I just measured the total span on my plant. When I got it it was right about 9 inches, if I remember correctly. The ebay picture shows it closer to 10 inches but my measurement was less I believe. It totally looks the same as when I got it (other than the obvious changes shown above) and it is not right at ELEVEN inches total span.

Latest posts

Back