sanderianum, bad photos of the best of the lot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... I definitely expect the petal tips to die on any plant I drag out of that grow room to take the trip to AOS judging next weekend...... :sob:
GORGEOUS!!!! Excellent tips for the tips!
I keep saying I have to go down for judging one of these month's, sounds like next weekend should be it! Good luck!!!
Who knows maybe my Fredclarkeara will be worth taking down there!

WOW!! Leo, that a great plant and thanks for all the good information.... Jim.

Leo, do you have a "white balance" setting on your camera? Most digital cameras now have that option.

Hi Dot,
Yep, I manually set the white balance for one set of photos, but the HPS Lamps in the room overwhelmed the camera's ability to compensate. Then I tried using the flash, and the colors still came out a bit off. Next week, I will Take pictures by moving the plant to the next room, against either a white or a black background and standard cool white fluorescent lighting, which the camera can compensate for.

Is there a trick that will give acceptable photos in the presence of high pressure sodium lamps? I hate moving the plant, especially if there is a potential judging coming up.

Is there a trick that will give acceptable photos in the presence of high pressure sodium lamps? I hate moving the plant, especially if there is a potential judging coming up.
When you set the white balance manually, do you have a white card or a gray card that you place in the light to set the balance?

When you set the white balance manually, do you have a white card or a gray card that you place in the light to set the balance?

I have been using a blank piece of white copier paper. I would have to find the instructions to find out if I should use gray card.

I have been using a blank piece of white copier paper. I would have to find the instructions to find out if I should use gray card.
Results should be the same. Evidently this type of light is impossible for digital cameras to "read" correctly. I've had very little experience with it.

very nice! I was supposed to get some compots of these plants (I think) for an orchid club compotting clinic, but never got a reply from the person who was supposed to do it for us. wish we had done the clinic ourselves and gotten some of these plants!

Last edited:
very nice! I was supposed to get some compots of these plants (I think) for an orchid club compotting clinic, but never got a reply from the person who was supposed to do it for us. wish we had done the clinic ourselves and gotten some of these plants!

just wanted to point out above, that I wasn't talking about Leo :) . (someone else was supposed to perform a clinic for us but didn't reply at the time so the clinic fell through) just mentioning that the seedlings and price was a great offer but we missed out because the clinic fell through and ended up no plants being ordered from anyone

Latest posts

Back