Sam retired

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam and Jeanie deserve to have a nice retirement. They have done a lot for the industry and their customers.

Will be interesting to see where his breeding stock goes.

I just received a few plants from him at the end of October. Also, his website is still up. Is he just not shipping plants to the EU anymore?

I just received a few plants from him at the end of October. Also, his website is still up. Is he just not shipping plants to the EU anymore?

He is not shipping to Australia anymore either. I assume his retirement is a gradual process where he will slowly sell off all his plants before he can finish off.

All the major U.S. paph breeders are gone now. OZ, Marriot Orchids and now Orchid Inn.
Where did you hear this because his website is still up?

Too sad. I've hoped to get some last flasks from him at least...
The more precious to me are all the Paphs I got from Sam over the past years.

Sam had a stroke almost a year ago. I spoke to him and his wife the day they brought these to judging. He was saying that he had to retire per doctors orders.
I believe they were having a house built in Florida.
A good number of his plants are with Rob Holgren out at Littlefrog Farm. If you try to place an order, it may kick right over to Rob while the plants hold out.
I suggest that he might be able to help those interested.
2D5E1E88-4D31-486C-9D31-C6022F887D64.jpeg

Sad but happy at the same time for Sam. I've spoken to Sam a couple three times in the past two wks and yes, he is retiring on his doctor's request and he told me is wasn't to be driving either.
All the pavis and brachys are gone to California. All the phrags left for Canada last Monday i believe. Lots of multis and flasks available but he doesn't want the hassle of boxing and shipping discounted plants out. He would rather customers visit, "grab and go" kind of sales. He doesn't mind shipping flasks if you buy enough of them and does add a nice discount.
I received these today
16717652668097437136606653951808.jpg

He has no plans of updating the website. The plants on the site are available minus what I mentioned above. The flask list is not current. He emailed a current one to me

I do have some of his stuff and I think the current plan was that I'd take possession of whatever flasks are still in the lab. Still not sure what that is... :) I don't have much, and I don't have room for many multiflorals, unfortunately. That is what he has a lot of in the greenhouse and they look great.

Will probably go down in a few weeks to pick up some more things if he has anything left. I've been selling his stuff at shows (on commission). Next show is Grand Rapids at the end of January.

Yes exciting for Canada, I have heard his phrags have gone to Windsor to a new 2000 sq foot greenhouse to be grown by one of the best cyp growers on the planet. J D

Attachments

• sanderianum AQ.jpg
    sanderianum AQ.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 0
I went to his greenhouse in the summer of 2022, and bought 5 plants, 3 roths and 1 Prince Edward.
One of the roths and the Prince Edward had bloomed, I was happy with the quality. I wish I bought more of the Prince Edward.

Back