Saint Swithin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its nice.
would need 5 or 6 for an award in Oz, now

I spent some time researching recent awards and four is still awardable here, but I know this plant can do better. It had four on its first bloom (I bought it in 2019 as a select plant from Paph Paradise), but it slowed down and matured this growth at half the size of the first bloom growth while it was recovering from shipping and blooming. Now that it is out of that funk I'm confident it will improve on future bloomings.

I love it! Nice balanced shape and the beautiful yellowish color overall which I really like.
If it had four on its bloom and this is just an occasional "hick up" as it happens on any plants at some point during its course of life whatever the reason might be, I'm sure it can surely have four or five in the future bloom.
Do the petals eventually twist themselves? I like twisty petals of philippinense.

It seems like second blooms have a tendency to be inferior to first blooms in multis, I think it takes a lot out of them blooming on one growth. Add the stress of being sent across the country and adjusting to the change from a big pro greenhouse in California to a little hobby greenhouse in SC and it can take some time for them to really settle in. I've noticed that even local moves can stress them out a bit, I picked up a couple of sanderianum on my last visit to Carter & Holmes and within days they both started to eat their oldest leaf.

The petals do twist on this one, you can see it on the first flower but nowhere near as tight as the twist on a pure phili.

Latest posts

Back