S/H Seedling Containers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TADD

Rootless Wonder
Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking for examples of S/H Seedling pots for my ohrag. I got a bit of PA from Lance (Thanks) and am looking for suggested containers. Does this make sense? Basically what do you pot your seedlings in for S/H practices. Thanks!
Tadd

I got some little plastic drinking cups from IKEA that I drilled some holes in the bottom of. Unlike "standard" s/h, for small plants I think just primeagra with watering every other day works better--otherwise by the time you have a reservoir in such a small cup, there's very little room for plant, and the whole thing is overly wet. it seems to be working so far.

Like everyone above, I just buy small plastic, drinking cups at the grocery store and use an $8 soldering iron to burn the holes. Just do it outside or under your stove hood with the fan on. Alternately you can use a drill to do the holes.

12 oz clear plastic cup 2 holes punched in the side 1 inch up from the bottom.
The 12 oz cup is 4 inches tall so that leaves 3 inches above the water reservoir which is the same height as a tall 2.25 inch pot. The extra size and volume over a smaller pot will accommodate the extra roots that grow in the leca. No need to use a smaller pot even for seedlings direct from flask.
Works great, costs little.

ScottMcC said:
I got some little plastic drinking cups from IKEA that I drilled some holes in the bottom of. Unlike "standard" s/h, for small plants I think just primeagra with watering every other day works better--otherwise by the time you have a reservoir in such a small cup, there's very little room for plant, and the whole thing is overly wet. it seems to be working so far.

I agree with you. If you can keep the leca moist with nutrient rich water there is no need for the bottom reservoir. But the bottom reservoir may be a bonus for wet loving phrags. And it may come in handy for those times when you can't water faithfully every two days.

I use normal seedling 6 packs in trays with hydroton in the begining. When they are bigger I put them in a plastic 8 oz cup.

Latest posts

Back