s/h growers another repotting question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gonewild said:
What would your reason be for planting them back into organic prior to sending them off rather than sending them in leca media?

What if the person that was receiving the plant did not want to do s/h or pay for the increased shipping/materials costs?

IdahoOrchid said:
What if the person that was receiving the plant did not want to do s/h or pay for the increased shipping/materials costs?

Then I would remove the plant from s/h and wrap or temporarily pot the plant with sphag. Since the plant would be freshly potted into a new mix it would be best to let the buyer plant it with his own mix. Don't send a freshly repotted plant letting the receiver believe it is an established plant.

But I guess your question is how well plants transplant from s/h back into an organic mix. I don't think you should encounter any abnormal problems assuming the plant has healthy roots.

Heather said:
I generally tend to offer to ship potted for people who I know grow in S/H. Otherwise, I unpot and ship with the roots wrapped in shredded wax paper in a plastic bag.
Argh! I'm still trying to get all of that shredded stuff out of the first stuff you sent me! :poke:

I am curious then, since you can't see the new roots on most slippers, do you determine active grow by seeing a new leaf emerge? It seems like they are always in growth. I did try it with a besseae cross, tthat I could see the new roots on but it hasn't worked out so well, however, my besseae sp. transplanted very well into it and I have seen no sulk in the plant. Infact a stunted new, baby bud of a growth that I had given up on, is now actively growing. Which means I got 4 new growths form the plant this year! Now if it continues to actually bloom this year...well that would take the cake!

So, when should I replant my paph seedling into S/H, because I really do like the system? Considering it gets so hot here in the summer, I would be able to see when the plant actually needs to be watered, because the humidity can vary according to our off-shore and on-shore flow (wind).

esungirl said:
So, when should I replant my paph seedling into S/H, because I really do like the system? Considering it gets so hot here in the summer, I would be able to see when the plant actually needs to be watered, because the humidity can vary according to our off-shore and on-shore flow (wind).

What growing conditions do you have? In a greenhouse, on a windowsill, under artificial lights? That might effect your decision when to repot. Repotting just before a plant begins to grow is a good time and knowing your growing conditions will help you second guess when your plant might start a growth push.

Latest posts

Back