Rutgers University Greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
6a_zpskgettbne.jpeg

I was drawn to the thick layer of beautiful green moss on the pot this big plant was potted in. :)

7_zps0sifoy3g.jpeg

Then this very unique plant with its turtle shell appearance...Dioscorea Mexicana.

8_zpscli4b17c.jpeg

and its stem which looked like something I would have never thought was its matching part. Isn't it bizarre? This thin green vine plant that is reaching the ceiling of the greenhouse grows out of this turtle shell looking base. I guess part of the root?
I think this is related to other plants in Asia which have their roots buried in the ground. and edible.

8a_zpsk3abfsgf.jpeg

This next thing was such a beauty with its blue violet orchid-like flowers up on a vine. had no idea what the name is, and I could not get the color right. It came out so dark. what a pity! This was one of my favorites in the greenhouse.

8c_zpszkl7dp2h.jpeg

This next one, whatever it is, I also loved it very much. It was as if someone painted it this way.
9_zpsv9t9a8jx.jpeg

9a_zpszzdvd5k7.jpeg

Same variety but a different plant in a different greenhouse.
This one had more white leaves than the other plant.

9b_zpsoqhg3fkn.jpeg

9c_zpsukuyg163.jpeg

Poinsettia in electrifying hot pink! This was very eye-catching.
I thought I've seen quite a few varieties, but never this color.
It would be a smash hit! They had a bunch of this color, and then one cream colored one.

hot%20pink_zpsucd2qiwu.jpeg

Schomburkia and cattleya hybrid.
The name is Luster, but I don't remember the parents's name.
This was a nice compact (considering the size of some schomburkia) plant with exotic flowers. compact enough to grow at home. I will have to look for this.

schmbc%20luster_zpsltoaflm8.jpeg

1a_zpsicx4mivm.jpeg

1_zpsbw14qbzv.jpeg

1b_zpsabgq4ix6.jpeg

Virused paph? These marks reminded me of Tiawan Ring Virus (I guess unofficial name) often seen on Phalaenopsis.
It was a pity because the flower, a green with white dorsal, was huge and very shapely.
Near this plant, there were quite a few nice green and spotted red bulldogs in bloom. All very nicely shaped. Then they had a bunch of unique parvi intersectional acrosses (not in bloom) that looked like they were from Parkside and/or An Tech.

3_zpspphhgfh6.jpeg

3a_zpsnzawo7tf.jpeg

This was adorable. Just like a little hedgehog.
The photo doesn't show, but it does have this brown body that is free of spines under the top green portion.
I should look out for this one, too.

4_zpsr8vcntk7.jpeg

Big specimen of an orchid in bloom

2_zpstojqklls.jpeg

Two of my favorites among cool looking succulents.

5_zpsu5robend.jpeg

5a_zpslv1clen2.jpeg

6_zpsbtfqpvjx.jpeg

I wish I had taken more pictures as the greenhouse was full of tropical wonder! Three sections, tropical foliage plant part, orchids (mostly cattleya types in bloom with a bunch of other different genera), and cacti & succulents, which was my favorite room.

I love the schombo-catt as well. The shape and color! such a nice turnout from the two species involved.
I have been nursing two seedlings of schombo-Brassavola nodosa.
I wonder how big the plants will eventually get, hopefully not too big, and what the flowers will look like. A couple more years before finding out, I believe. can't wait!!!

The plant with pink and white leaves is Hawaiian Snow Bush (Breynia disticha, Phyllanthus nivosus).

The schombocatt... Myrmecocattleya Luster (C. forbesii x Myrmecophila thomsoniana). The C. forbesii accounts for the somewhat compact plant.

Thanks for the tour.

Thank you for the name. :)

The plant with pink and white leaves is Hawaiian Snow Bush (Breynia disticha, Phyllanthus nivosus).

The schombocatt... Myrmecocattleya Luster (C. forbesii x Myrmecophila thomsoniana). The C. forbesii accounts for the somewhat compact plant.

Thanks for the tour.

Thanks for taking us on your tour! I especially love the succulents -- and that very strange but appealing Dioscorea Mexicana.

Then this very unique plant with its turtle shell appearance...Dioscorea Mexicana.

...and its stem which looked like something I would have never thought was its matching part. Isn't it bizarre? This thin green vine plant that is reaching the ceiling of the greenhouse grows out of this turtle shell looking base. I guess part of the root?
I think this is related to other plants in Asia which have their roots buried in the ground. and edible.

Dioscorea is the genus of true yams (as opposed to the sweet potatoes sometimes called yams in North America, and not related), food plants grown in many tropical areas but most important in Africa. Though a bit different in appearance this is still a tuber and vine growth pattern. Everything visible is stem tissue, just as a yam is.

Thanks for sharing the tour... Love the specimen-sized Oncidium sphacelatum.. the vine with purple flowers at the top of the greenhouse is a Petrea species, possibly Petrea volubilis. This has large rough-textured leaves that feel like sandpaper, hence the common name sandpaper vine.

I think Dioscorea may be related to Jicama / Mexican yam bean (Pachyrhizus erosus), which is a root vegetable commonly used in spring rolls and other dishes over here.

Latest posts

Back