Round Paph. niveum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well technically it doesn’t have parents. It is not a hybrid, it is a species.
The tag seems to say Paphiopedilum niveum, then an “x” then “sib”? The word Express is on line two of the tag. These plants are the results of “sib crosses” I think. A niveum by another niveum. All done in order to produce better niveums.

A niveum by another niveum makes niveum. But regardless, it is a fabulous flower!!

Well technically it doesn’t have parents. It is not a hybrid, it is a species.
The tag seems to say Paphiopedilum niveum, then an “x” then “sib”? The word Express is on line two of the tag. These plants are the results of “sib crosses” I think. A niveum by another niveum. All done in order to produce better niveums.

A niveum by another niveum makes niveum. But regardless, it is a fabulous flower!!
The high-end niveum have clonal parent names. I’m very fond of Sam Tsui’s “Perfect Circle,” which grows vigorously and blooms twice a year. I’ve given a few of its babies as gifts to people with moderate growing skill who are thrilled with their vigor and regular blooming. One friend grows only African Violets and my gift niveum, in African Violet mix, she has blooms most of the year. Your plant and its flowers are stunning and I would think anyone who stewarded its seed would love to see it now.

The high-end niveum have clonal parent names. I’m very fond of Sam Tsui’s “Perfect Circle,” which grows vigorously and blooms twice a year. I’ve given a few of its babies as gifts to people with moderate growing skill who are thrilled with their vigor and regular blooming. One friend grows only African Violets and my gift niveum, in African Violet mix, she has blooms most of the year. Your plant and its flowers are stunning and I would think anyone who stewarded its seed would love to see it now.
I am jealous of the people that received such nice gifts from you!!

Exactly my point. Sam uses clonal names to tell one niveum from another, in and out of flower. Keeping customers out of your “Keeper Kollection” is very hard to do.
I do the same thing with my C. walkerianas!

If you have a great memory you can recollect what each one looks like but out of bloom, it gets much harder.

Do you happen to have a photo of it?

The tag seems to say Paphiopedilum niveum, then an “x” then “sib”? The word Express is on line two of the tag. These plants are the results of “sib crosses”
I wouldn't count on 'x sib' ad modum Sam, actually means, that it is a sibling cross. The otherwise impeccable and splendid Sam seems to have had a rather private understanding of the meaning of this particular designation.

Latest posts

Back