Rothschildianum pictures megathread. Please post all your roth photos here.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good color. Do you know the measurements? Good growing too!

The flower is probably a little smaller than your average 'Rex' x 'Mount Millais'. The width of the flower is 26 cm and the dorsal is 4.5 cm wide, but remember I bred these more for the color than for the size per se. My next step of breeding is to cross the darkest clone of this cross to one of the largest clones from either ('Rex' x 'Mount Millais') or ("Green Valley' x 'Fly Eagle').

Robert

rothschildianum 'Cherubin'. Currently in bloom

PaphrothschildianumCherubim.jpg

Whole spike

PaphrothschildianumCherubimfullshot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The flower is probably a little smaller than your average 'Rex' x 'Mount Millais'. The width of the flower is 26 cm and the dorsal is 4.5 cm wide, but remember I bred these more for the color than for the size per se. My next step of breeding is to cross the darkest clone of this cross to one of the largest clones from either ('Rex' x 'Mount Millais') or ("Green Valley' x 'Fly Eagle').

Robert

That is a beauty Robert :clap::clap: My 'Rex' x 'Mount Millais' is getting closer to blooming. The spike must be growing 3+" a week. If mine turns out decent. Maybe we can trade pollen.

Per a request from a member I merged two other roth. threads into this one. I merged the Roth. Borneo 'Dark' x Dark Choc. thread started by Drorchid and the Roth. Cherubim thread started by Greenpaph. It would be helpful to keep this as a roth megathread. I also made it a "sticky" so it remains at the top of the paph photo page. Hope that's o.k. with everyone.

rothnanchoxmm.jpg

Picture taken by Dean Hung of Paphiness orchids

From the illustrious OZ nan chou x MM cross

Rothschildianum Sam's Best x Rex, bloomed from a 10 cm plant in 2 1/2 years. FS was 28.2 cm.

That's a pretty short term to grow a P. rothschildianum to flowering size and flower it !!! I'm impressed not even by that but also by the beauty of the flowers especially the deep ruby/vine-red of the pouch.

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

No, actually the fastest roths from any crosses bloom in 3-5 years depending on the parentage. The bulk of a grex will take longer, but 4-5 years for a good grower is is "normal". Most of the roths bred those days are pretty fast, unlike the infamous Charles E x Borneo. Even so, Charles E x Borneo was very fast to bloom, for the very good ones. At a time where roths were extremely rare, people would keep even the runts from the flasks and sell them later. Those can eventually never reach blooming size ( a couple years ago there were still at Tonkin place many Charles E x Borneo from the early 80's that were still 30 cm leafspan, same at Norris Powell place. It is hopeless to bloom them one day, except that roth Sam's Best came actually from one of those "bad plants" that suddenly reached massive growth, and FCC status...).

I think it is a matter of mineral nutrition, I noticed that on all of my roths. After some funny treatment, or just suddenly, plants would start to grow at x5 x10 speed, and there is no "explanation" like that.

Back