Rothschildianum pictures megathread. Please post all your roth photos here.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rothschildianum pictures thread

This is the first Paph. rothschildianum sib cross that I made here at Orchids Limited. It is a cross between Paph. rothschildianum 'Borneo Dark' x Paph. rothschildianum 'Dark Chocolate'. The background of the 2 parents are the clones Roth 'Rex', 'Mt. Millais' and 'Commander'. I selected both parents at the time for thier darker than usual flowers, and I think it shows in the progeny. The first seedling that bloomed had pretty dark flowers. We noticed that all the seedlings from this cross were pretty vigorous. I made the cross on April 16 2001. The first seedlings got planted out of the lab on November 8 2003, and the first seedling bloomed on February 11 2008, so that is in 4 years and 3 months after coming out of the flask!

Flower close up:

PaphrothschildianumDarthVaderBorneo.jpg

Flower side:

PaphrothschildianumDarthVaderBor-1.jpg

Whole plant:

PaphrothschildianumDarthVaderBor-2.jpg

Robert

:drool:OH - by gosh - by golly - I must have a sibling!!!! I bought 1/2 doz slippers from a fellow this summer & this plant has a OL tag, it's one mature unbloomed growth with 2 new starts. Hopefully soon!

Heather,

Yep. I can add the pictures to that thread; I will add some pictures of our other clones as well. Yep, I gave this seedling the clonal name "Darth Vader"

Robert

Here is a picture of Paph. rothschildianum 'Darth Vader'. It was the first seedling from the first Paph. rothschildianum sib cross that I made here at Orchids Limited. It is a cross between Paph. rothschildianum 'Borneo Dark' x Paph. rothschildianum 'Dark Chocolate'. The background of the 2 parents are the clones Roth 'Rex', 'Mt. Millais' and 'Commander'. I selected both parents at the time for thier darker than usual flowers, and I think it shows in the progeny. The first seedling that bloomed had pretty dark flowers. We noticed that all the seedlings from this cross were pretty vigorous. I made the cross on April 16 2001. The first seedlings got planted out of the lab on November 8 2003, and the first seedling bloomed on February 11 2008, so that is in 4 years and 3 months after coming out of the flask!

Flower close up:

PaphrothschildianumDarthVaderBorneo.jpg

Flower side:

PaphrothschildianumDarthVaderBor-1.jpg

Whole plant:

PaphrothschildianumDarthVaderBor-2.jpg

Robert

Robert,
Very nice color esp. the purple pouch!!! The roth. that I have is in early spike. Knock on wood I don't jinx it. I hope it is as nice as the ones posted so far.

Tom

more roths's from Orchids Limited

Here are some more pictures of some of our "select" roths:

This is Paph. rothschildianum 'Borneo Dark' (The parent of 'Darth Vader'):

PaphrothschildianumBorneoDark.jpg

Paph. rothschildianum 'King Cobra' it is a seedling of Paph. rothschildianum 'Rex' x 'Mount Millais'; it was featured on the cover of our 2003/2004 catalog:

PaphrothschildianumKingCobra-clo-1.jpg

PaphrothschildianumKingCobra-clo-2.jpg

Paph. rothschildianum 'King Willem'. I am not sure what the parents are of this one. I believe both parents were "jungle plants":

PaphrothschildianumKingWillem236200.jpg

PaphrothschildianumKingWillem-close.jpg

Paph. rothschildianum 'Yosemite'. this is a cross between 'Green Valley' x 'FlyEagle':

PaphrothschildianumYosemite-close-5.jpg

PaphrothschildianumYosemite5152007.jpg

PaphrothschildianumYosemiteGreenVal.jpg

Robert

This is the first Paph. rothschildianum sib cross that I made here at Orchids Limited..... so that is in 4 years and 3 months after coming out of the flask!
Robert

That's a pretty short term to grow a P. rothschildianum to flowering size and flower it !!! I'm impressed not even by that but also by the beauty of the flowers especially the deep ruby/vine-red of the pouch.

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Latest posts

Back