rothschildianum 'Charles Edwards'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got it from a reputable source, Dale at Austin Creek. I was surprised to find a sheath on such a small growth, especially given it's reputation as a reluctant bloomer.

Here is my plant, bought in spike in 2012. It hasn't re-bloomed since then, but is now in 3 pots :)

Also included some reference photos. This clone has a distinctive u-shaped leaf habit.

charles-E-2012-Copy.jpg
charles-E-2012-2-Copy.jpg
charles-e-Copy.jpg
roth-charles-e-Copy.jpg

Will do. The first is looking better, the petals flexed back and forth a couple of times before they really settled into position. I'll get good pics when the second is open and all stretched out.

A little piece of history here. CE was very important in the background of many of the fabulous roths we have today. It is a wild collected plant, so it's genes will be important to 'reinfuse' to future generations of roths to continue vigor and 'wild adaptability'.

Anyone know the history of this particular plant, ie, who was/is Charles Edward?

While a student at UH Manoa I had the pleasure of meeting Henrietta Fujiwara who gave the University her collection of paphs, several plants of 'Charles' and 'Rex' were in the mix. I hope the collection is still being maintained by the university, money is always in short supply.

Latest posts

Back