rothschildianum article

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. Particularly the low Levels of K and P in combination with hight Ni, Co etc.

Thanks for posting this polyantha.

I've read through it a few times now and found the following points so far...

Leaving out all the others and concentrating on the roths from locality 1 and 2 and the volonteanum form Mesilau. (so wild plants in situ)

* It's frustrating that there are no soil figures for N but going by the leaf concentrations for these 3, N is as lower than K in locality 1 much higher than K in locality 2 and much lower in the volonteanum. Conclusion for N/K ratio: (No idea), But it seems that N and K and of course P are very low.

* Fe/Mn/Zn ratios are all over the place but generally standard. (unlike Xaviers figures for mastersianum etc.)

* Exchageable Mg/Ca ratios in the soil are really high! (over 1 which is much higher than normal) Leaf Mg/Ca however are still standard. Percentages of Ca and Mg in the roth from locality 1 (for example) are pretty much the same as Xaviers emersonii.

* K in the locality 1 roth is about 1/2 of the K in the mastersianum and the emersonii. In locality 2 it's about 1/10! and in the volonteanum it's a bit higher! In other words, all over the place!!!

* Leaf content of N is also crazy form plant to plant. Really low in locality 1 and high in 2.

* Na is so much higher than K it's scary. I think Na might be taking the place of K in these plants??
In the roth from loc 1, exchangeable Na is just a bit higher than exchangeable K yet in the leaf it's off the chart compared to K!! (what's going on there?) loc 2 roth has almost no K and a huge amount of Na in the leaf! The K in the mastersianums etc is almost 10 times the Na.

* No figures for B at all??

* roth is generally an easy plant in cultivation and grows perfectly fine with standard (more or less) feeding.

* Basically we know nothing about orchid nutrition!

Hello everybody,

has someone read already intensively the analysis from the article?

I have sorted the information and brought it to a common unit of mg / 100 g of soil (unit for soil samples in Europe).

I hope I did not make any transmission or miscalculations errors.

Blattanalysen_PaphsMtK1.jpg

Blattanalysen_PaphsMtK2.jpg

Bodenanalysen_PaphsMtK1.jpg

Bodenanalysen_PaphsMtK2.jpg

Comparing these values with the leaf analyzes from Xavier (other Paphs.) and with my soil samples from Pig Hill (Mesilau) you can see high differences....

What is your opinion?

-->

In last August I want to visit the natural location from Paph. volonteanum and Nepenthes rajah in the Mesilau Region from Kinabalu Park.

But in June 2015 there was an earthquake in the Kinabalu region and it destroyed the way to this plants.
With a guide I make a trip to the pig hill near Mesilau - but we find only the Nepenthes.
From this location I take a soil sample:

Bodenanalysen_Mesilau.jpg

Latest posts

Back