rothschildianum 'Arschfick' = ro-6 x New Bear SM/TPS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roth

Reaction score
rothschildianum 'Arschfick' = ro-6 x New Bear SM/TPS. One more fake made in Taiwan

I got some beautiful plants of ro-6 x ro-10 and ro-6 x New Bear SM/TPS. One already bloomed from that batch. As anyone can see, first it's not a roth, second it's a major piece of crap. I took the photo with my handphone, no need to waste a camera on that. Another one is spiking, will be the same ****. Oddly enough, some people in Taiwan bloom very dark red plants out of those crosses, but apparently the real crosses were not released for sale. It is clearly not a ro-6 ro-10 or New Bear progeny. That's one of the major problem in Taiwan, we can see great pictures of great plants, but very, very rarely those plants will be used to make seedlings. The plants sold are nearly never of any good parentage. I have seen the same with hangianum, but hoped that those roths would turn out any good ( and for anyone who thinks it is the cultural conditions, like the seller told me, have a look at the Mt Millais I bloomed...)

Last edited:
Xavier, you are making me not want to trust anything I buy. Probably a good thing since I am not yet back in to growing Paphs! :)

Love the info then. What's the Latin phrase? Caveat emptor!

Well, I am quite fed up. Honestly I think most of the seedlings sold are not from the real parents. For some I know, because I sold divisions or passed pollen/seeds, and the people have been way too fast to offer flasks and plants. For others ( like a red hangianum in Germany), I know that the plant never made any seeds, yet seedlings are sold (they are young wild collected hangianum established for a while in fact). Same in Taiwan, I have been once again stupid to buy this kind of plants. I know they buy a lot of wild collected seed caps of all the paphs species, they just flask those, put nice pictures, and bye bye. The remaining is just pot plant or hybrids sold as seedlings from awarded parents. Few are the real crosses.

What a disappointment for you!! If you have trouble getting the droolworthy crosses,we'll have even more trouble in the USA:(

Ok, the quality ot the bloom is somewhat hard to guess from that max-pic :) !! Nevertheless the german 'clonal' name looks typical for sanderianum :D !!! Jean

I have come to a point in my collecting passion that unless I truly trust the seller, I will only buy mature plants in bloom to know what I am really spending my money on. I want to see the bloom before I spend the cash. I have gotten burned one to many times.

That's too bad, some of the photos coming out of taiwan of some of those crosses look spectacular. i have a few seedlings of crosses from RO-6, New Bear, etc. They are still a few years away from blooming so we'll see how they turn out. I bloomed some roths from Taiwan including one labeled with PT-1 as a parent corssed to a Val x MM and another that was a sib cross of two 2135...they both bloomed out looking true to the parents and were very nice roths.

One line of breeding from Taiwan i am not fond of is the various 'Green Valley' label crosses that have flooded the market in the US. They are not to my taste.

That's too bad, some of the photos coming out of taiwan of some of those crosses look spectacular. i have a few seedlings of crosses from RO-6, New Bear, etc. They are still a few years away from blooming so we'll see how they turn out. I bloomed some roths from Taiwan including one labeled with PT-1 as a parent corssed to a Val x MM and another that was a sib cross of two 2135...they both bloomed out looking true to the parents and were very nice roths.

One line of breeding from Taiwan i am not fond of is the various 'Green Valley' label crosses that have flooded the market in the US. They are not to my taste.
Maybe one is lucky to get the real deal, the real flask, the real seedlings from the source, another person may get a resale thru many middlemen and consequently can not confirm where the switch occurs.

Very difficult to buy in taiwan those "items"...once I bought some roths with no name and some with "ultra parents names"...as the size was different I payed same price cause the"selected " ones were smaller...the selected ones turned out to be orrible!...and the cheaper no named ones spectacular!!!So some deals are there,important is to know the persons and the story behind the plants...

Oh my god!!! The cultivar name 'Arschfick' of your roth is a very, very nasty word in German. I don't want to translate, if you're interested, than use Google translator.
It is very sad that people are cheated in this way. You shouldn't use the nasty cultivar name anymore, because i doubt that someone would give his plant this name. So most likely it's invented...

did anyone else see 'Arsef#$k' when they first seen the clonal name?My mind is always in the gutter,but thats ridiculous.

did anyone else see 'Arsef#$k' when they first seen the clonal name?My mind is always in the gutter,but thats ridiculous.

I did!I should of read some of the other posts,instead of replying first.I like it,and this has encouraged me to try to squeeze one by the AOS on my next award.

This whole thread is so disheartening... as a speaker of German, the clonal name is what really grabbed my attention first! I completely understand the reason, too. It's simply terribly wrong to cheat. Roth, I'm relatively new to this world of orchid importing and breeding, so it's salutary to read your comments. Thanks so much for your jaded honesty.

I was disturbed that I actually knew what it meant, and I don't speak German!

Thanks for the info X, will adjust some things over the weekend.

Latest posts

Back