Roths

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
Two nice ones from OZ with very wide petals:

2.4 cm PW, 28 cm NS

yz4Nvo.jpg

2.3 cm PW, 29 cm NS

PhEkbe.jpg

Probably roth. because I suppose OZ work selection is serious.

But I agree we can have doubt when we look at the form of petals.

One thing is sure, in my personal taste, I don't like this selection way! :(

It is a roth. There is large variation in the petal stance. Size, staminode. Unless this is some crazy complex hybrid with tons of roth in the backround, it is a roth. Looks very much like a roth to me. I can smell it from here.

Interesting. Recently saw some photos online of a new hybrid from Taiwan, paph Sunlight Rothschild = Lady Rothschild x roth, which looks very much like this.
Lady Rothschild = Lady Isabel x roth.
Lady Isabel = roth x stonei.

Look at their staminodes and sizes.

Yeah the closest this thing ever came to stonei is probably a few benches over...no stonei in the staminode it is clearly all roth

Top one is 'Mighty' x 'Red Baron'; bottom one I'm not sure - didn't get that one.

As I told too, it's clearly a roth., not because I'm sure when I see this bloom but because all blooms from the breeding line are more and less similar and homogeneous. IF it was hybrid, some plants would have more Lady Isabel in it.

About some Lady roth. or Lady roth. x roth isolated, I challenge anyone to be affirmative it's not a roth.
Some years ago, I saw many plants of Sunlight roth. and 2 or 3 plants were exactly roths and could be sold like roths.

An example of the difficulties for some particular plants: http://www.orchids.com/Paph-Lady-Rothschild-rothschildianum-Fly-Eagle-AMAOS-x-Lady-Isabel-Norman-HCCAOS-P1279.aspx

I just bought the same cross of the top one :D can't wait to see mine in bloom :D Very impressive Rothschildianum

Really? I have just looked at about 100 pictures of roths and I would have thought you could tell a from a mile away that was a hybrid without need for closer examination. Sorry I didn't mean to step on any toes....

Staminode is good for identification but in the case of 2nd or 3rd generation of hybrids roths (Lady and Sunlight Roth.), some blooms will have exactly same staminode than roth.

Back