Roths season begins

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score
We are in the grips of a terrible heat wave at the moment. For the last week temperatures have been peaking in the high 30's with greenhouse temperatures rising to over 44C and only dropping to 32C at night. I have been watering 3 times a day in the hope that the humidity will offer some measure of protection. Many of my plants are showing quite severe heat stress. I have watched some of my multis shrivel their flower spikes and abandon any attempt at blooming this season :(

A single bloomed roths, on a very small plant. I would never have expected such a small plant to bloom. It has also been grown very bright.

And now a slightly better offering,
I guess a blooming roths is a positive thing, even if the blooms are all crowed on the spike? (and covered in spider web!)

Better colour,

A beast of a roths. Very large blooms if perhaps a bit pale. I am hoping that it will open its dorsal and present a bit better next time round?

The first one has a very open flower - like it! You can almost see the entire staminode! The rest is not bad, either ...:p . Oh my, can't wait to see my first!:rollhappy:

the last two roths are really excellent!!! 4 flowers on a spike is very good, and very good shape and color too :clap:

The colour is greatly affected by temperature, so given your current conditions i would not be concerned about pale colour, the size and form of the last two looks pretty good

Those last two roths are outstanding.

Yes, we have had some really hot days here as well and it is not even summer. But you must suffer these hot days during your summer. Isn't it a problem then?

The stance on the last one is excellent. What is the breeding?
Heatwave in Oz too - summer is going to be HOT!. Can you set up an evaporative cooler in the doorway? -eg http://www.honeywellaircoolers.com/products/cl40pm

It has no known breeding :eek:
I have an evaporative cooler (Aussie import), but it needs a service. I have been a bit swamped lately, so unfortunately have let things slide a bit

Those last two roths are outstanding.

Yes, we have had some really hot days here as well and it is not even summer. But you must suffer these hot days during your summer. Isn't it a problem then?

We often have hot days in summer, but by late afternoon the clouds build up and we get a shower which cools things down. Our rains are late, so the heat is unrelenting and the humidity very low.

Wow! What a wonderful show! I REALLY, REALLY like this one:
OrMwbz.jpg

Words cannot express how much I want a roth like that! Awesome!

Even if you don't know the clonal names of the parents, can you tell us which nursery was the breeder? Someone in Asia? A flask from Sam? Etc.

Wow! What a wonderful show! I REALLY, REALLY like this one:
OrMwbz.jpg

Words cannot express how much I want a roth like that! Awesome!

Even if you don't know the clonal names of the parents, can you tell us which nursery was the breeder? Someone in Asia? A flask from Sam? Etc.

oh wow i missed this one. how wide are those petals? more than 2cm?

Sorry, here is another attempt to get the 4th picture to load and display.

John, I have a number of roths (purchased as NFS from Taiwan breeding), quite a few from Frank Smith, Ben Ooi and then a few with no tags (about 25 plants in all) This plant above is one of my older plants and unfortunately has no tag.

Latest posts

Back