roth seedling = rothling? trying to escape it's new home

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlb

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased a little baby roth seedling (14Cm L/S).

Its Jim Krull X Canandian Club.

Anyway,

I was potting it up as it came bare root, and I snapped off it's ONLY root :eek: because I am an absolute muppet!

Now, I had a mini freakout, and potted it up in a 2" pot with charcoal, sponge rok, chc and mini bark. This was placed in a humidicrib of small clear plastic bucket with water in the base, then over a heat mat set at 27C and I crossed my fingers.

I have been spraying it every time I look at it with rooting hormones, alternating between seasol, superthrive and rhizotonic.

Good new is it's working! The little bubba roth is growing roots!:D

The problem is, its growing them in a way which is pushing it right out of the pot. I can actually see the new roots now, whereas when potted the base was nice and snug in the mix.

So what should I do? Repot or let it continue on its merry way?

Thanks,

Renee

P.s. I've had it for just over a month, so I'm pretty thrilled that it is recovering so fast!

Last edited:
Nice job! It is probably best to repot now while the new roots are growing. For roth seedlings the base of the plant should be just a couple mm below the top of the medium. Good luck!

Hi all,

Here are the photos

First is when I got it a month ago. the bamboo sticks were to hold the poor little thing upright. There is a little mark on the stick to mark where the top of the leaf was, in case I got impatient and killed it with love waiting for it to grow.

Then there are photos of it now. It's managed to sort of lift itself into a weird little angle. Previously it was resting in the ridge of the pot. I think I'll follow Dots advice and top it if with some more bark. I'm a bit concerned about disrupting whatever good thing I've got going on here.

It looks pretty wet, due to misting prior to photos.

Attachments

• photo-14.JPG
    photo-14.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 47
  • photo-21.JPG
    photo-21.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 34
  • photo-20.JPG
    photo-20.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 52
  • photo-15.JPG
    photo-15.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 48
i would add some more medium or shredded sphagnum moss on top; however, the mix you are using looks very coarse with big pieces. for me roth seedlings need to be in a finer mix and even then i will "mulch" them with sphagnum on top to retain moisture.

btw seedling looks good, it should turn into a nice big plant for you in a few years.

I have to ask, if it is working, why change it? I would carry on just the way you are, perhaps reduce water as the roots continue to develop, and as spring approaches I would only then consider a change. I have a policy, 'if it works, don't change it!'

so, I topped it up today with some mini bark, mini charcoal, sponge rok mix.

Trithor, I was a bit concerned that if it kept going the way it was that I wouldn't be able to keep it wet enough at the roots. It's about to start getting very hot and dry here in Melbourne.

I will update if it keeps climbing! cheeky little rothling! :)

The roth looks good so far. The new leaf looks promising too so nothing to worry about. And the behaviour is normal, no elongated internodes whatsoever. Good luck

Sometimes you'll see flasklings that have roots in normal spot by base, but then there is stretched space between the next root and the next making it hard to pot up properly without burying something
Usually if seedling too wet or very humid in flask some can stretch

Latest posts

Back