Roth question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h_mossy

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a Paph. rothschildianum from H & R Nurseries here in Hawaii. They didn't provide the cross, but I was told that one of the parents came from Wilbur Chang and had a dorsal sepal that was rather green vice white. I asked if that meant it was an alba, and was told no, it would be more like an albescens. Anyone know where I could find a photo of something like that? :poke:

a rothschildianum albescens?? I'm quite sure it doesn't exist..

Tokyo Orchid Nursery posted a plant a year or two ago with flowers that were a gold/green color. It wasn't album but much lighter than the normal roth.

Well, I never saw the one I was told about, I was just told that Wilbur had one and wanted to find another to breed it with. Never finding one, he allowed his to be bred. Wilbur is no longer with us to see the result. Those that have seen Wilbur's plant just said the dorsal sepal was green rather than the regular color.

Austin Creek Orchids has a bunch of roth clones and one of them is quite greenish yellow (link). I would imagine he probably means something like this. I have seen several that have greenish-toned sepals, but the degree/intensity varies a lot.

that's just a badly colour corrected picture, I think.

I don't agree that's the whole explanation. Color correction may be making it seem a bit more dramatic than it actually is, but there are a fair few pictures of the parent ('New Horizon') floating around and they all seem to show abnormally greenish sepals. Plus, I have seen roths in bloom (in person... not just in pictures) with varying degrees of greenish-tinged sepals. So they do exist.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that the text description for this particular cross also explains that the coloration is somewhat different from normal. So it's not just the picture.

Latest posts

Back