Roth Growth Rates

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it is wrong to try to get a number for growth rates of any paph. Unless it is a very rough number of course.

Let me explain; one thing is that there is a vast variation in growth speeds within a flask, secondly, growth happens in "spurts" where a leaf can grow at a considerable speed. Some year ago, I measured it on a lowii (perhaps it was something else but it is reported here on ST) to be more than 1mm/day. This makes the leaves flip over, and when that growth spurt is finished, they stiffen, and raise and appears normal again. This happens to many (most?) of my multis including roths.

This mode of growing seems not to be a consequence of fertiliser regime as that has changed over the years without much influence on the growth pattern. Now I am at very low fertiliser levels and growt still happens in spurts.:D

Nothing is wrong with information, it all depends on how you use it.
You just provided a growth spurt of 1mm/day. This is a peak growth and then the growth slows down and stop, while another new leaf is coming out.
You can get an average for this. It's good to have a reference for peak and average growth. If it takes 6 years from flask to flower, I don't want to wait until the sixth year to conclude oppps, I'm not doing right. If I have the info to know the result/s in a month or a week, that's all good.

Oh for the love of....

March 16th, 2016
1458106705579.jpg

April 6th, 2016
20160406_194349.jpg
top of pot is 6.5 inch diameter for reference.
Very impressive, very good looking plant At least you have 1.5" of growth there in less than a month.
Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Mk, now that I have some actual data.
Roth 266 x j
~150-175 par under Iwasaki 400w 6500k halide
Watered 3-4 x a week, ferts 1-2x a week
83-85f day
68-70f night
humidity 60-75%
6.9cm growth in one month
1461388612083.jpg

I find it depends on parents. My Rex x MM remake seedlings grew fast, but other crosses are slow.

I find in seedlings the growth rate varies considerably depending on the quality of the flask. Roth crosses from TON grow like weeds compared to almost any other vendor

Nice! What is your distance under your Mh lamp you got there? 150cm 1500mm?

I would say about 36in, but it's off to the side of the reflector's spread.
I'd be curious to see how fast these grow in the hands of a master. I'm not even a good grower, and I can get close to 3mm a day at peak growth.

One more shot. I wanted to see what would happen if I "tried" a little bit.
4/25/2016
20160425_153401_1.jpg

And again on 5/25/2016
20160525_142315.jpg

Almost 9.2cm in 30 days. Plant has gone from 27in to 36in across since I started posting pics in this thread. I suspect this is approaching the limit of what is possible for a bedroom grower. Maybe in HI or in a dedicated roth room, you could get more...

One more shot. I wanted to see what would happen if I "tried" a little bit.
4/25/2016
20160425_153401_1.jpg

And again on 5/25/2016
20160525_142315.jpg

Almost 9.2cm in 30 days. Plant has gone from 27in to 36in across since I started posting pics in this thread. I suspect this is approaching the limit of what is possible for a bedroom grower. Maybe in HI or in a dedicated roth room, you could get more...

It can even get bigger especially when it puts out multiple growths. Some of the growths can reach 42-48 inches in leafspan.

Back