Roth flasks

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah plants are huge in flask but really expensive. Hopefully this size will allow faster growth when compared to flasks with smaller seedlings. They must replate an extra time when compared to the likes of Sam maybe???

I understand they do an extra re-plate. They are a very good size compared to other offerings.
I have the Rex X TF. I deflasked mine 2 months ago and they have settled in nicely.
I wish I could have all three - but the pricing is too sharp. They will all be superb.

Here is a photo of another roth clone you were after. Nice big dorsal on this one. I assume rothchildianum 'Shih Yueh' GM/TPS is a relatively recent award as it is not in any of the Taiwanese award books.

Thanks for that. I have ordered three flasks. I like the large dorsal and dark coloration on these.

Do you have any photos of the Taiwanese flasks?

The TON flasks sure look nice. Way better than those from the Orchid Inn.

Way better than those from the Orchid Inn.

For me, Sam sell sometimes flasks with too young seedlings. At least when he comes in Europe. So, I ask now pictures to be sure I agree with the size.

A too small seedlings without flask = more possibilities to lost it and often 1 year lost to reach BS size.

I have got some from Sam recently and the size is alot bigger than the last few years. Hopefully this continues.

For me, Sam sell sometimes flasks with too young seedlings. At least when he comes in Europe. So, I ask now pictures to be sure I agree with the size.

A too small seedlings without flask = more possibilities to lost it and often 1 year lost to reach BS size.

The seedlings in the roth flask I got from Sam recently were tiny. They all quickly rotted. I have basically lost the whole flask. I also got a flask of appletonianum that were beautiful large seedlings. I haven't lost one of those and all are growing beautifully. I am very disappointed in the roth flask. The leaves only made it to half way up the flask. They should be reaching the lid in my opinion.

I agree (and bummer about the flask). The roth flasks I recently got from him were bigger than they usually are but still relatively small. Fortunately mine have all survived 'touch wood'. I also got the appletonianum flask and as you said they were great.

Here is an example of Paph roth flask I got from Taiwan recently.

I like the size of seedlings. I sold these to a customer last November and he said they are growing very well. So I bought a few to try.

3479ec2a5ee3abc72556bf00e185dfa5.jpg

943e675d2f99ce36d1366a606dae8b04.jpg

These are the ones I got.

Ch-58 Paph (Liberty Taiwan 'Golden Star' X rothschildianum 'Chia Yi' SM/TPS)
Ch-61 Paph rothschildianum ('Chia Yi' SM/TPS X 'CY-200' SM/TPS)
Pa1909 Paph rothschildianum ('Panda' X 'Super Wings')
Pa1913 Paph rothschildianum ('Super Star' X 'Black Porgy')

I think I will try a mix of fine orchidata bark and moss. If I'm not mistaken, I have seen small multifloral paph seedlings growing in moss until 2.25 inch pot size.

Pa-1909
2c5cb791e7b2a4968b55b93a9f049dff.jpg

Pa-1913
a35b23488150dcf130a350d69930665d.jpg

Yes, how????

I got these from Mainshow orchids when he comes to US to sell. He will be at Redland as well as the Paph symposium later this year. I know he goes to Germany at least once a year. He is a good friend to Popow orchids. You can contact him on Facebook. Mr Chen is past president of TPS and current president of TOGA
These might not be his flasks but he has good connections from Paph growers in Taiwan.

Peter, those are nice. It seems as if the flasks from Taiwan always have much larger seedlings in flask then here in the us. They also look to have fewer seedlings per flask compared to the U.S. However, given a choice, I'd go for less seedlings but bigger ones. Can you give us an idea as to how many where in each flask? Please update us on the flasks as they grow.

Those Mainshow Orchids flasks look incredible, both the seedlings and the parents. The size, shape and presentation are all first class. I like that Panda x Super Wings cross in particular. These look as good as any roths to come out of Taiwan. So I'm puzzled as to why I haven't seen these clones before. None of them are in the 'Paphs in Taiwan' books. They are clearly awardable. Or are these select clones that Mr Chen has brought in?

Latest posts

Back