Roth flasks from TON

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying roth flasks from Tokyo Orchid Nursery in particular mount millais x tarantula. They are very pricey and so was wondering firstly is this cross a good one or has the breeding moved on from this? Also what is the quality of flasks from TON?
Thanks

I've seen their flasks - exceptional quality. If it weren't for the price I'd snap them up.(and may still........)
Brad has plenty of experience with TON and roths, he's the best person to comment.

tarantula is the best roth from TON crossed back to its parent MM. Im not a huge fan of going back to MM in this cross. Ive imported close to 50 flasks from TON. They are high quality and large in flask.

TON's flask quality is the best in the world, daylight second

Other thing to consider is you will likely get 30 to 35 plants in the flask not 20 so it's makes the price more reasonable

Ken, can you give us your view of why the MM back cross isn't something you would do?

In my opinion, to cross Tarantula with the best of its 2 parents = MM is a very good idea.

If TON came in Europe, sure I would try some roths flasks. This cross and other of course!

I think the only drawback of backcrossing to MM is it is not likely to increase the flower size in the progeny any further. Color and form will be terrific though. That being said I would grow it myself.

I think the only drawback of backcrossing to MM is it is not likely to increase the flower size in the progeny any further. Color and form will be terrific though. That being said I would grow it myself.

Yes and no. MM x Val produced several awarded plants with more 30cms size while MM is not known for its big size and Val is smaller than MM.
(Dont' forget too TON use a special method to increase flower size. I think if I buy Tarantula tomorrow, I will never obtain 39cms flower size!)

If TON crossed MM with Tarantula, it's exactly to add Tarantula size to the color and form of MM, what is yet one of the best genetic parent.
Often, we know Big size x big size will produce big size but it's not always this result. Genetic is more complicated and the best results are often from a complementary cross.
In my opinion, it's better to cross 2 plants with different characteristics than to cross big size x big size OR dark color x dark color, etc...

Yes and no. MM x Val produced several awarded plants with more 30cms size while MM is not known for its big size and Val is smaller than MM.
(Dont' forget too TON use a special method to increase flower size. I think if I buy Tarantula tomorrow, I will never obtain 39cms flower size!)

If TON crossed MM with Tarantula, it's exactly to add Tarantula size to the color and form of MM, what is yet one of the best genetic parent.
Often, we know Big size x big size will produce big size but it's not always this result. Genetic is more complicated and the best results are often from a complementary cross.
In my opinion, it's better to cross 2 plants with different characteristics than to cross big size x big size OR dark color x dark color, etc...

tarantula has better color and size than MM, so do most of the top roths.

Yes you're right but don't forget the potential genetic. MM proved to have a fantastic one.
Tarantula is MM x Val and in my opinion, the problem is Val in its genetic potential.
Tarantula is awesome but not sure it will be fantastic as parent.

In my opinion, I prefer to cross Tarantula with MM than to cross Tarantula with another "MM x Val" like Raptor or Perfection for example.

And to be honest, I prefer the roth. crosses with 2 parents from 2 differents breeding lines. For example "MM x Val" x "Green Valley x Dou Fong" or yet "MM x Val" x "MM x Rex" or even "MM x Val" x "Reachout x self"

Just my opinion.

Because I have a last question. How many awarded plants (or potentially awarded) from "MM x Val" for how many bloomed? To know the percentage would be very interesting.

Back