Roth fever

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you're completely right.
But the majority of breeders (US, Taiwan and Japan) are following the same direction what is judge standard "flat, round and dark".
Perfection is not an exception. Just it was the 1st one famous to bloom of this new generation.
If Perfection was judged now, not sure it would be FCC because standard is more and more "flat, round and dark". While it's really a very nice one roth.

So, when I choose a cross, I prefer parents from differents breeding line to increase the possibilities and to have more diversity in descendants.

Depends what you like. In my view the breeding should not be just to replicate the homogeneous "flat, round, and dark" that judges love (and like you get with the MM progeny), but to create nuances like you get with Perfection. In my eyes the downswept petals of Perfection are very elegant.

I too am eager to see how more seedlings bloom out. I have grown flasks of Rex x Perfection and Gigantic x Perfection that I hope will be nice, but still a couple years away for me.

So how big are your Gigantic x Perfection seedling's Justin?

Speaking of Roth fever. Me and my friend Paphman910 are getting Purple Boy x Six Fay. Should be nice.

David asksed: "So how big are your Gigantic x Perfection seedling's Justin?"

the biggest ones are about 10" or so in 4" pots.

I did an inventory of my roths when i was repotting this winter and found i have about 130 roths with about 35 of those being mature plants, BS plants and some awarded divisions. i've flowered a dozen roths myself so far so still have a lot more to go :)

I just got my latest flask of 'New Horizon' x 'Raptor' yesterday which had about 30 seedlings in it so that will add more to the population :)

Wow so much talk about Paph rothschildianum 'Perfection'. I sure like the Paph rothschildianum 'Titanic' that Fabrice mentioned (link) as I have a seedling with that parent with Jamoboree Gold from Paphanatics

Speaking of Roth fever. Me and my friend Paphman910 are getting Purple Boy x Six Fay. Should be nice.

I have the same cross too in FS. Both Purple Boy and Purple Dream are progenies of the OZ-770 that has very nice red-purple flowers. Here it was crossed with MM. Purple boy has good colour and six fay bloomed with six flowers. (Six Fay is Val x MM btw.)

I have two Purple Dream x Six Fay with the biggest 20 inches across. I just noticed this plant has a new growth coming through although I think it is still a long way from flowering. It is nice to know it has survived the quarantine process and is growing well. My other plant did get a bit of rot but the new leaves are growing nicely so I think it will be fine albeit a little messy. This cross seems to have really narrow leaves.

David asksed: "So how big are your Gigantic x Perfection seedling's Justin?"

the biggest ones are about 10" or so in 4" pots.

I did an inventory of my roths when i was repotting this winter and found i have about 130 roths with about 35 of those being mature plants, BS plants and some awarded divisions. i've flowered a dozen roths myself so far so still have a lot more to go :)

I just got my latest flask of 'New Horizon' x 'Raptor' yesterday which had about 30 seedlings in it so that will add more to the population :)

My biggest is the same size as yours so the race is on. :)

Now that is a serious addiction.

I have two Purple Dream x Six Fay with the biggest 20 inches across. I just noticed this plant has a new growth coming through although I think it is still a long way from flowering. It is nice to know it has survived the quarantine process and is growing well. My other plant did get a bit of rot but the new leaves are growing nicely so I think it will be fine albeit a little messy. This cross seems to have really narrow leaves.

My biggest is the same size as yours so the race is on. :)

Now that is a serious addiction.

Six Fay is nice. It has 6 flowers on a tall stem. I am getting Black Eagle x Tiger as well. I really like Tiger's Dorsal. It's packing some serious dorsal.

rothschildianum-TN-Tiger2012.JPG

That 'Six Fay' clone is incredible. Great petal stance and a wonderful dorsal and 6 flowers to boot. WOW. I hope my seedlings look a lot like that with some purple thrown in. I have another 'Six Fay' cross with 'Wild Select'. I bought this as a flowering size plant so it cost a bit more. Unfortunately it flowered in quarantine and the stresses of both were a bit too much. The plant went really backwards and the new growth rotted. It has initiated a new growth so there is hope but it will be a long slow recovery at best.

I do love that 'Tiger' dorsal. I have two 'TC-5' x 'Tiger' with the biggest 22 inches across. Nice chunky leaves on those. 'TC-5' seems to have really nicely spaced flowers so hopefully that will carry through to the seedlings.

Yeah some of those roths from Taiwan are DARN nice! Much better than some of the crosses that have been wholesaled here in the US.

With informations from a Taiwan friend, TC-5 and Black-Eagle would be the same plant with this flower:

rothschildianum%20TC-5.jpg

To be honest, I have some doubt about this flower. For me, it looks like some Lady Isabel x roth… But I'm not sure. Just this special dorsal and petals. There's something that bothers me.
What's your opinion?

I have too several crosses with Tiger, Purple boy, Purple dream, TC5, Black Eagle. All the flower are good but as with all crosses, we need a little luck to have a superior one.
I have currently 12 roths in spike and several from those parents.
Again some days to weeks. ;-)

Wit

To be honest, I have some doubt about this flower. For me, it looks like some Lady Isabel x roth… But I'm not sure. Just this special dorsal and petals. There's something that bothers me.
What's your opinion?
;-)

I see what you mean. If someone put this photo in front of me and said it was a Lady Isabel x roth I wouldn't think twice. But then I'm not 100% sure it is not a full roth.

Yes maybe you're right.

But even with the staminode (I don't see enough on this picture), it will be difficult to judge.
If the flower took the main genetic characteristics of rothschildianum the 1st and again the 2nd time, it will be same thing for the staminode. So, it will be very similar to a rothschildianum staminode.
No, I think we can talk about that but we'll never know.

What is sure, some Lady Rothschild are sometimes very similar to roth.

Back