Roth fever

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamD

Catasetinae Crazed
Reaction score
Am I the only one suffering from this at the moment? With all the roths we've seen here lately I can't help but find myself itching for more. I've started saving to buy a group of NBS roths and later a flask of the next generation. I've got it bad. Does anyone know of any publications on roths specifically?

You will continue to suffer in the next weeks because it's just the beginning of the roth. season! :rollhappy:

For example, I have 12 roths in spike... :poke:

But it's your chance to begin your collection now because roths are now less expensive (a little...) and with selection work, you can find seedlings with big potential and faster to grow.

Be careful, rothschildianum is an incredible drug. :D

My total now is 11 roths and it ranges from NBS to multigrowth plants and I'm still looking at some crosses to add. I should really stop lol. :rollhappy:

Now that I bloomed a Paph roth, I can see why this species can be just as addictive as Phal gigantea.

Did you see one of your plant's siblings went for $265 on eBay? I think you may have had some impact on the price considering the last sib went for about half that price...
I know what you're thinking. No, it wasn't me. I didn't even bid oddly enough. I know how I want to fulfill my Roth craving and am saving up to do it right.

But I wonder if the winner is on this forum?

I didn't bid on it either although I was watching it

I can't help but wondering how the other sibling turn out. Surely some of them have already flowered.

I have 19 roths at the moment, the giant one is in spike now. Just ordered a flask from taiwan (bear x tiger) , one from the US (leo x new horizon) and a division from Belgium wich could produce flowers 40cm NS when multigrowth in the future. Roths are incredible!

I'm a bit of a roth addict as well. I have 22 roths of varying sizes although a few aren't in the best of health and might be a battle to grow on. I have only flowered two of these but I hope to flower another 2-3 next season. I'm looking forward to flower these newer darker clones in the future. They are just amazing.

You should check out Orchid Inn seedling list of roths. He has a nice cross:

Paph rothschildianum 'Mont Millais' x 'Perfection' at $60 with a leafspan of 20-24cm.

Both parents are really dark and awarded with FCC

Yes, it could be a good choice.

Mon Millais is an excellent roth for breeding. It prouves that since many years.

For Perfection, what is a good roth. (but not at all the best from MM x Val), I would be more careful about potential breeding.
At this time, I didn't see yet an awarded bloom from a cross with Perfection. Maybe is it too soon but I think TON have already bloomed several of them. And of course, I didn't see all pictures from this cross.
I would be curious to see more.

22!, I thought I should stop at 6!....Maybe not :evil:

As Roy and HG would say, "too many roths are barely enough". A few of them are small seedlings. I recently bought two each of 'Perfection' x 'Gigantic' and 'Canadian Club' x 'Jim Krull'. In the 6 months I've had them they have grown well but they are many years away from flowering. I thought they would be good crosses but now Fabrice has me nervous.

I was given a couple of roths last year in terrible condition. I thought they were no hope but to my surprise they have picked up with one putting out a new growth.

I have a few of those NFS imported roths as well Stephen. How are yours going? Some of mine are going well, others not so well. The quarantine process really knocks around and they seem to take a long time to recover. There is a risk when you buy these plants but overall they are worth it.

You should check out Orchid Inn seedling list of roths. He has a nice cross:

Paph rothschildianum 'Mont Millais' x 'Perfection' at $60 with a leafspan of 20-24cm.

Both parents are really dark and awarded with FCC

That would be nice but the costs of importing them in wouldn't be worth it. The mortality rate of plants that size would be high.

@Emydura: Keep your calm! ;)
I'm not affirmative. I just wanted to tell a very nice flower is not always a good parent.

For example, lots of MM X Val are good and awarded but lots of are too not good because of Val.

So, if you cross (MM x Val) X (MM x Val), you will have plants with Val characteristics while we search to obtain MM charactéristics. So, genetic is not sure.
It's why I'm not a fanatic to buy this kind of crosses. But maybe I'm wrong.

For the MM x Perfection, more chances to obtain MM characteristics. So, it could be a good choice with a little luck...

PS: I tried too Perfection X Gigantic. ;)

Another example. My friend Paul bought some years ago "Knight Challenge x Titanic" to Sam.
When I saw the parent, I told him "very very good choice!" I was very optimistic with this cross

http://www.orchidweb.jp/orchidshow/kobe2002/blue_ribbon.htm

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/people/tanaka/InterOrShow/Hinuma/Hinuma03/enhinuma2.html

2 are better than Perfection for me.

Look at the result, not at all the parents level: http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17088

All that to tell the best is to think about all possibilities and of course to buy in flasks to increase luck.

PS: In this case, I supposed the plant was right labelled but it's not possible to check...

Depends what you like. In my view the breeding should not be just to replicate the homogeneous "flat, round, and dark" that judges love (and like you get with the MM progeny), but to create nuances like you get with Perfection. In my eyes the downswept petals of Perfection are very elegant.

I too am eager to see how more seedlings bloom out. I have grown flasks of Rex x Perfection and Gigantic x Perfection that I hope will be nice, but still a couple years away for me.

Latest posts

Back