Rosy Dawn

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
The flowers on this one are pretty nice this year. Petals are pretty broad and not as wavy as sometimes.
Does anyone know if this cross has been remade recently, or if it is still divisions from the original being offered?

Best wishes, Carsten

paphrosydawnmb3.jpg

I think I've come across four or five pieces of Paph. Rosy Dawn while repotting these last few weeks... Drop me a line and maybe I can set you up.

I don't think it has been remade. Rosy Dawn = Astarte x Gwen Hannen. Registered in 1935. I think you might be able to find an Astarte somewhere, but Gwen Hannen may be lost to cultivation. If you find the clone 'Field Marshall' somewhere, I want it...

Chances are really good that there are only one or two surviving clones of Rosy Dawn. Mine came without a clonal name but is identical to all the ones I've ever seen, and I think I've gone from one plant to half a dozen in a period of three or four years... It is a good grower and a self divider (falls apart into multiple pieces whenever I repot it).

littlefrog said:
I think I've come across four or five pieces of Paph. Rosy Dawn while repotting these last few weeks... Drop me a line and maybe I can set you up.

I don't think it has been remade. Rosy Dawn = Astarte x Gwen Hannen. Registered in 1935. I think you might be able to find an Astarte somewhere, but Gwen Hannen may be lost to cultivation. If you find the clone 'Field Marshall' somewhere, I want it...

Chances are really good that there are only one or two surviving clones of Rosy Dawn. Mine came without a clonal name but is identical to all the ones I've ever seen, and I think I've gone from one plant to half a dozen in a period of three or four years... It is a good grower and a self divider (falls apart into multiple pieces whenever I repot it).
I have only seen 2 different clones and neither of them with clonal names on them. Here is last year's pic of mine. The other one has the color of Carsten's
Roseydawn.jpg

There are at least 2 clones...unfortunately I forget the names...my current RD has no name....my earlier RD had a name, which as I said, I forgot...I guess it looked more like the second pic....I had it years ago...I forget whether it died or whether I gave it away...probably kicked. Take care, Eric

Thanks for all the nice replies!

I was wondering about the remake because that was what one vendor suggested to me last winter. I thought it unlikely, my RD is almost a weed and behaves just like Rob said: falling apart when repotted. Nobody would ever remake King Arthur and that's around everywhere.

I saw RD in a beautiful display at the EOC in Copenhagen, 2000. There was a AM/RHS group of RD's, the clonal name was "Magnificum", if my memory serves right. Was a british display, either Ratcliffes if they were there, or the RHS.

best wishes, Carsten

Latest posts

Back