Rootless paph division growing roots!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wahaj

Reaction score
Hiya, a while ago I was repotting what I think is a paph Leeanum and a division broke off. Didn't know what to do so I stuck it back in the pot. It stayed alive but nothing happened with the roots for a while. I was told at another slipper forum that it wont produce roots as it has nothing to keep it alive.

However, checking it this afternoon, look what I've found. yay!

Picture.jpg

Should I now be repotting this as a seperate plant...or can I leave it in the old pot with the parent plant?

Thanks!

Thanks! and sorry to hear about yours.

Well the thing is I was told it would root either but it did, I thought if it's a gonner, there's no harm in experimenting and seeing if it works.

I have a concolor that when it finished blooming (it was in spike when I bought it) I started repotting. It had NO roots left. This was about 3 months ago. I put the plant in sphagnum moss and have been nursing it hoping to save it. It now has two new tiny growths started but still no roots. I do not know how it is feeding but it is alive and growing. I am assuming that at some point it will start growing new roots. Orchids, there effort to survive is amazing. I am not, therefore, surprised that yours had grown new roots. WTG.

It couldn't have been someone on this forum; we are the supporters of sphag-n-bag!

Sshhh! I think it was the SlipperOrchidForum!

oh and this spag and bag thing. So you put the whole thing in a bag with spag and seal it.....or just put some damp spag in a bag and have the bottom part of the plant dunked in it?

Any good using an electric propagator with spag?

Thanks. And yes Corbin, they never cease to amaze me. quiet a few of them I've neglected to the point of no return....but they're hanging in there! :lol:

lol. I mean I'm sure I wasn't given incorrect advice on purpose....it's just people going by their experiences.....but it was just so great to see them. The first thing that came to my mind was...."Hahahaha they were wrong"

Since your division already has roots, I'd just pot it up in a small pot with your normal mix....keep it a little shadier for the next few weeks, but it should grow up into a healthy plant. Take care, Eric

Excellent! Okey dokey. I mean I had problems with my paphs a month or so ago anyway and I ask yo guys for help and since then they've been much better so thank you for that. It's already sitting in shade at the moment, but I will pot it up seperately.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back