Roof tile mount

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to be careful when selecting those, as some are literally “salt glazed”, where the salt fluxes the surface sufficiently to allow it to vitrify on firing. While I doubt there would be any residual salt to harm the plant, the vitrification means the tile won’t absorb water through that surface.

Fortunately, that’s usually on the convex, upward-facing side.

Tom, your well grown Catt says .... you made everything right. But this seems an old custom to mount orchids on roof tiles.
I read in the book of Walter Richter 'die schönsten aber sind Orchideen' (but the most beautyful are orchids), page 166-167, that it was a custom in countries of Central America to mount orchids on roofs of churches. In 1870 Benedict Roezl, an orchid hunter, found Cattleya skinneri alba mounted on the roof of a church in the region of Tetonicapan in Guatemala.

Tom, your well grown Catt says .... you made everything right. But this seems an old custom to mount orchids on roof tiles.
I read in the book of Walter Richter 'die schönsten aber sind Orchideen' (but the most beautyful are orchids), page 166-167, that it was a custom in countries of Central America to mount orchids on roofs of churches. In 1870 Benedict Roezl, an orchid hunter, found Cattleya skinneri alba mounted on the roof of a church in the region of Tetonicapan in Guatemala.
Yes that’s true. I’ve seen them on roofs in Mexico and Indonesia. The mount is heavy but permanent (can’t rot) and works well both as a raft and a hanger.

Latest posts

Back