Ron I need your expertise and suggestions- - or anyone

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Grandma M

I bought this tree to mount bulbos on. I need suggestion on how to do it, and what to put on it. I prefer minis. It is 11" tall with a spread of 19". The one of the right side reminds me of a duck head.

What ones would you suggest?

How many do I mount on it, where to put them, all different or make a big splash with all of the same one...like several tingabarinum, if I could find three or four tingabarinum?????? Do I only place them on the branches or do I place a tiny one on the base? My only fear of that is, would it crawl over the base so I can't let it stand alone on the base?

HELP!!!!!! I need suggestions from some artistic people.

TREE.jpg

The general rule is that you do not put an even number unless they are in perfect symmetry. So in this case, since the two branches are different, symmetry is out and thus I would go for an odd number of plants. Personally I would put them all alike except for the odd one and I would put the ones alike on one branch and the odd one on the other branch. Further from an artistic stand point The odd plant can balance the larger group it is is a) closer to the end of the branch or 2) if it is a brighter color.

Just as few suggestions from an artistic standpoint.

because it has a base ..... we have a tendency to look at it from the prospective of it sitting on a table (horizontal) as is. What would it look like if you hung it & the base was vertical instead?
How do you mount them? How you mounted your other ones! A sphag pad & some fishline always works!
Corbin makes a good point with the number of plants but if they don't all take to the mounting, the growth rate will be different. We can't control everything! It might be kinda neat to have different ones that bloom at different times. My short experience with the bulbos I have is they're going to bloom when they're ready & that could mean anytime! I have a cirr. makoyanum that I got early June, by end of June it had 2 spikes & It has bloomed twice since then with single spikes. I think I neeed to send you some pardolatum, it will ramble all over it in no time!

Another issue is the size of the plant. Some bulbos stay quite small (tingabarinum) while others get massive (echinolabium).

Grandma M, be sure to mount those with similar cultural requirements only... cos when they are on the branch, remember that you cannot water them separately... If you want suggestions of plants, i suggest bulbo.purpurascens, lepidum, appendiculatum n lasiochilum.. all are small-sized, but lepidum does grow fast and might overwhelm the others.. whatever you do, i suggest you do not put your echinolabium (hehe..), lobbii or patens or macranthum which have rambling habits and are rather large for the 'tree'.. you can add some other non-orchids, like several strands of spanish moss to add interest.. good luck..!! =)

Grandma M, be sure to mount those with similar cultural requirements only... cos when they are on the branch, remember that you cannot water them separately... If you want suggestions of plants, i suggest bulbo.purpurascens, lepidum, appendiculatum n lasiochilum.. all are small-sized, but lepidum does grow fast and might overwhelm the others.. whatever you do, i suggest you do not put your echinolabium (hehe..), lobbii or patens or macranthum which have rambling habits and are rather large for the 'tree'.. you can add some other non-orchids, like several strands of spanish moss to add interest.. good luck..!! =)

Nice branch!! I think paphioboys suggestions are good. purpurascens near the end of one of the branches would be stunning when it blooms. Definitely small sized with a pad of moss under the roots and a light dressing of moss over the roots. Mirum would also be another good choice.

BTW, did you get my e-mail responses to your note??:confused:

Latest posts

Back