Rokinon 50 mm (Samyang) f1.4 and some other thoughts

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehanes7612

Reaction score
So, I am delving into manual focus lenses, cheaper with better quality glass compared to comparable auto focus(thats the idea anyway)..and I cant use auto focus for astrophotography. I just bought this lens for 399.00. It doesn't have much testing as its only been out for a year. Headed down to Death Valley but will be stopping at Ochoco Forest first..(supposedly the darkest skies on the west coast of the US and easily accessible but very cold as its 5000 feet up). Want to test this lens down there. So far for astrophotography I can say that zoom lenses suck as they don't focus well enough, even at higher f stops. Surprisingly, the canon 100 mm macro is great for night photography..it is just an amazing all around lens..who would've thought. Tried the 50 mm 1.8 canon..it's okay..but coma is bad. I am finding that the best way to test a lens is night photography..the chromatic aberrations and coma are easily determined with a dark background. And for focusing, the better ability to focus is determined by how solid stars are as you magnify the image. I am hoping this lens performs well for me, or it's on to buying a Zeiss

I do like the older manual focus lenses. Albeit, they are slightly heavier, I find that I have much more control on focusing. However, for a quick shot, electronic lenses are the way to go.

Kind of like a automatic vs. manual car.

I do like the older manual focus lenses. Albeit, they are slightly heavier, I find that I have much more control on focusing. However, for a quick shot, electronic lenses are the way to go.

Kind of like a automatic vs. manual car.

true..i only use automatic in daylight as my eyes aren't the greatest anymore, and some things you can only use auto for..like sports and animal photog.
Auto focus doesnt work for astrophotography , so might as well increase the arsenal..kinda like never having enough orchids

Usually BH photo (no taxes and free shipping, they are Jewish owned and they abide by the Shabbat and holidays, so they dont take orders or ship at those times)...but if I really want it right then and there, I go to Glazers in Seattle

Back