Rock mount for lithophytic Phrags?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdupont

Reaction score
I guess I just like to think about different ways to grow things. Does anyone have information or opinions on growing lithophytic Phrags on rock mounts?

I'm thinking of mounting a lithophytic phrag (like schlimii) on a piece of granite. The orchid would be mounted in moss on the rock. The rock would be placed above a water reservoir with a pump that would provide a constant (or very regular) water drip. Does this sound possible?

Other ideas might include using hygrolon on the rock, but I have no experience with it. Instead of granite, might it be better to use lava rock?

Again, just in the idea phase, deciding whether it's possible and looking for opinions or other information.

I know something quite similar (rock mount with constant drip) was done with Disa longicornu and maculata, and others have mounted some laelias, etc., on rocks (no constant drip).

Note that the plants grows in the humus that has collected on the rock. Roots that grow on the rock are probably seeking other areas of accumulation.

With granite, I'd be concerned that the moss would become a soppy, root-rotting pocket in no time, and that the runoff wouldn't wet a large enough area to keep the plant healthy. Something like lava rock will stay overall wetter, but don't plan on ever removing the plant from it.

Yeah... I would use something more porous than granite. Lava rock could be good, but large pieces are kinda hard to find and can be expensive. A cheaper/easier option might be to make a hypertufa slab/rock. I know these tend to err on the basic side of pH, but if you add more peat and leach it well, it might be a good option - especially if you are going to be using sphag moss for the organic part of the mount since this is inherently fairly acidic to begin with.

I like your idea of growing on rocks. May be difficult to handle by its weight. Just be sure to use the suitabe material, that is of vital importance.
I have in every pot a drainage of granit- limestone- or lavarock gravel at the botom of the pot depending of the species, once I got it wrong, I put a paph randsii on limestone gravel and it died...

Michael

Latest posts

Back