RO water system benefit/consumption

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one....I am disappointed. I build it as it is wrote in manufacture book. RO water cames drops by drops, unusual "side" water flows out continously....it will be VERY expensive!!!!

Repairman said that osmotic membrane is wrong. It will be changed next week for free.....

What is the biggest RO holding tank that I can get for a standard kitchen sink?
Doesn't that depend upon how big the cabinet is under the sink?

Most residential systems are supplied with a 3.2-gallon tank, having about 3 gallons of capacity. As you get bigger, the air volume that pushes the bladder for water pressure takes up more room. A 20-gallon tank, for example, has a bit over 14 gallons of water capacity, and is about 30" x 16" diameter.

The biggest one I have seen is 120 gallons = 2' diameter by a bit over 6' tall, and costs $1000.

Most growers who use RO don't rely on a pressure tank, but store it in an open-air tank (far less expensive), and use a pump to deliver it for watering.

I have sold a half-dozen systems in the last month with no tank whatsoever, In some cases, the individuals plan to connect it to a spigot and turn on the water, filling milk jugs or the like, then turning it off again.

Thanks Ray, tha is exactly what I was looking for. I'll get a pump to match a pressure of tap water which is 65?

I'd say go lower.

The pump I use cycles between 40-60 psi and at 60, you have to be careful not knock plants out of the pots.

I have sold a half-dozen systems in the last month with no tank whatsoever, In some cases, the individuals plan to connect it to a spigot and turn on the water, filling milk jugs or the like, then turning it off again.

That's how i use mine. For a small indoor collection, I have the R/O system connected to a kitchen faucet adapter and fill up milk jugs throughout the week. For a couple hundred plants/seedlings on lightstands, I use maybe 20 gallons per week.

I have been mixing 50% tapwater back into my R/O when i feed, for extra calcium, but flush with pure R/O every other watering. One thing about using R/O for Paphs, root growth is phenomenal.

I'd say go lower.

The pump I use cycles between 40-60 psi and at 60, you have to be careful not knock plants out of the pots.

Hi Ray. What is a good submersible pump that can dispense a 5 gallon bucket water slowly and with not a lot of pressure but at least a good flow. I bought an eco 396 pump and attached to a garden hose. Im wondering if the eco 633 is better.

Hi Ray. What is a good submersible pump that can dispense a 5 gallon bucket water slowly and with not a lot of pressure but at least a good flow. I bought an eco 396 pump and attached to a garden hose. Im wondering if the eco 633 is better.

I use aquarium power heads to pump out of and into five gallon buckets. You can get small and large ones, either pumps that are expected to pump deep under water or sit on top of a water column to circulate in the tank (power head). plugs into a normal outlet, uses cheap tubing, you can pinch the tubes to close down the water and open to let more flow out. never too much pressure with one of these, though they don't pump up high but if I need to water a top shelf in my cart, I just set the 5 gallon bucket on a cheap bar stool. you can't put a garden hose on an aquarium/pond pump, but you really don't need one

I don't know that I can make any specific recommendations. I carry some Hydrofarm submersibles that might do the trick - I mostly sell them to folks building terrariums - and can certainly get you anything they carry, if you're interested in something bigger.

I use a little giant 5 msp pump.... It pumps at about 30 psi and has great flow....

Thanks guys. I bought a coiled garden hose and a eco 396 pump. It works but on only one setting "center". Would have been nice if I can use all the setting. I feel that I need a bigger pump but for now It seems to work.

I filter water into a small basin that sits under the GH benches. I use a Shurflo 8005-733-255 110V diaphragm pump to draw water from the basin & deliver it through a combination of 1/2" pvc and 3/8" reinforced hose (could be pvc also) to a stainless steel watering wand. The pump has an integral pressure switch that regulates pressure between about 40 & 60 psi (at the pump) but at the end of the wand, after passing through piping & tubing, the pressure's much lower and it's perfect for watering. I paid $88 for the pump. I've been using the system for a couple of years now without any glitches.

Latest posts

Back