RO system

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This holiday season is going to be a good one for the orchids (and the fish). I am looking into a a small reverse osmosis system and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to brands that they liked or didn't like. It's high time that I invested in one, I'm going through around 10 gallons a week, so I don't need anything really massive. Any input you guys could offer would be much appreciated.

i like my unit from kent marine. buy it from a fish/aquarium web site. it pays to shop around.

Or any 'good' hydroponic store. The clowns at my local store were acting-up so I now buy replacement filters from the manuf, Spectrapure.

IMHO the units are pretty much the same, just different membrane capability and amount of pre-filters/options. I've never heard of anyone who was unhappy with their R.O. unit since they operate similarly.

Julia,

Get something bigger than what you think you need!!! Your collection will always grow and once you have it, you'll end up preferring the RO water over tap for drinking and cooking. Also, with a typical system, you likely won't get the gpd (gallons per day) the system is rated at. It depends on your tap cold water pressure, water temperature (i get more gpd on cold days), etc. I got my 5 stage, under sink, tank, 100 gpd (upgraded from 50 gpd) system from
http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/
and also use
http://www.h2ofilter.net/index.asp
for parts and upgrades
The sites might look cheesy, but I've been doing business with them for years and have never been disappointed in service, product quality, or prices. They also have tons of info.

-Ernie

I just completed renovating my kitchen... and installed the new Merlin system. Yes, it is pricey - but it has no storage tank! (my wife hates the room the tank took up under the sink).

And the water is "on demand". The R/O comes out at a resonable rate. I love it... and never have to wait as my 3 gal tank fills.

It may not be worth the cost difference but I have peace at home and R/O for my plants! And my wife now uses R/O for her tea... she is becoming a convert!

I will second getting a unit that is bigger than what you think you need.

If you are on a well, check your water pressure before buying.

There are pumps (booster and permeate) for low pressure lines. Most folks with low pressure would probably need the more expensive booster pumps for low pressure to totally max out the gpd. Permeate pumps are a fix that makes decent pressure better not crappy pressure ok. Make sense?

-Ernie

There are pumps (booster and permeate) for low pressure lines. Most folks with low pressure would probably need the more expensive booster pumps for low pressure to totally max out the gpd. Permeate pumps are a fix that makes decent pressure better not crappy pressure ok. Make sense?

-Ernie

Yeah makes sense, kind of, thanks for the info.

I want and need RO unit too. Already asked too many questions at the shop, but they couldn't answer properly about mineralizator. I've been told that using pure RO water for drinking is bad and if I'm planning to use this water for cooking I need the unit with mineralizator. I've asked how much minerals does it add, but the shop assistants knew only that "just enough". I'm interested if this "just enough" won't be too much for my plants? Do you use units with/without mineralizator for watering/cooking? Maybe somebody measured TDS before and after mineralization?

Why, exactly, is RO water bad for drinking? I've heard several people say this and I can't come up with a good answer.

-Ernie

I've been told that this water has less minerals that human being need for healthy existence. Everybody need minerals. For plants we add RO fertiliser in this water, but we don't have fertiliser for people, so mineralizator is used instead. But I'm afraid that mineralizator + RO fertiliser could be too much for plants. Sad, I thought to use it for myself too.

I agree with you, Ernie. I have been selling RO systems and parts for over a year now, and a bunch of them have gone into homes specifically for drinking water applications.

In the case of a plant, absorption is essentially passive - osmosis through cell walls - and if surrounded by pure water only, the driving force is to dilute the ions within the cells and force them out so the concentration will be equal on both sides of the membrane, and that is NOT what you want.

If the water supply was the only way people got minerals, I would expect something similar with the use of RO, but it's simply not the case.

Shadow - there is no need to add extra minerals to RO if you add an RO fertilizer. That's mineralization enough.

Thanks, Ray.
there is no need to add extra minerals to RO if you add an RO fertilizer. That's mineralization enough.
Yes, I think the same way too. But I'm wondering if RO water without mineralization is good for people? And if yes, why does RO water mineralizator exist - unnecessary waste of money?

I agree with you, Ernie. I have been selling RO systems and parts for over a year now, and a bunch of them have gone into homes specifically for drinking water applications.

In the case of a plant, absorption is essentially passive - osmosis through cell walls - and if surrounded by pure water only, the driving force is to dilute the ions within the cells and force them out so the concentration will be equal on both sides of the membrane, and that is NOT what you want.

If the water supply was the only way people got minerals, I would expect something similar with the use of RO, but it's simply not the case.

Shadow - there is no need to add extra minerals to RO if you add an RO fertilizer. That's mineralization enough.

Yep, pure water will hydrate the cells around it more efficiently than "rich" water due to a "weaker" concentration gradient. As long as that doesn't cause the cells to burst (lyse), that's a good thing. Turgid cells are generally desirable. Not entirely sure, but would guess good nutrients in plant cells are moved about actively, not passively??? Possibly even sequestered and not just drifting around in the cytoplasm? So they would not be able to be flushed out by dilution, water would rush in to try to dilute the chemicals in the cells to equilibrium. Once again, we REALLY need a bonafide plant physiologist member here! :)

-Ernie

i thought that r.o. water would pull minerals and other nutrients from one's body, thus stealing essential nutrients.
i guess i'm wrong?

Ernie - you might have a point about the nutrient ions. We definitely need to get a plant physiologist in the discussion.

"Likespaphs" - pull them and put them where? Seems to me that if they're in the body, they will be assimilated.

We just got an RO system. Can I use my Dynagrow fertilizers till used up or do I need an RO fertilizer?

Back