Rlc. Taiwan Queen 'Golden Monkey'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard/seen Rlc. and you used Rlc. for all your Cattleya hybrids here today, so I googled but got nothing related to orchid.

So, I am pretty sure they still are Blc.

Last edited:
Its the 3.13% Rhycholaelia digbyana in the complex mix that turns it from Cattleya to Rhycholaeliocattleya!

The parents(in old name) is C. Moscombe X Blc. George Angus.... It used to be Blc. but they renamed Brassavola digbyana to Rhycholaelia digbyana, so now the new acceptable genus name for Kew is Rlc.

For info sake, the Genus name ie Sophronitis, Laelia, Oncidium, Schomburgkia & so have ALL had changes over the last few year, much to the disgust of Orchid growers. It has effected 10's to 1000's of orchid names from species to hybrids. For species name changes, refer to the Kew List of Monocot's for species changes in all genera. https://wcsp.science.kew.org/prepar...ecklist=selected_families@@075160320190225535

The RHS list of Name registrations have the new genus name (in abrev's, Rlc etc) & the former in brackets after it. Some of these changes aren't new, they have been around for years, some recently. Its not widely publicised or advertised by those authorities in countries that should be enlightening growers via Publications or notes to clubs of them, very slack on their part.

It has not been a smooth transition for hybrids obtaining new names unless a pedigree is given right along with that name. And then there are the names followed by the year registered. Question is, without the disclosure of geneology, which one does a name apply to? An example (and I am going to use a made up name, but I've run into this issue) Blc Angel on an orchid tag. Is it Blc Angel 1941, Blc Angel 1975, or is it now Lc Angel, Rlc Angel, Bc Angel, etc etc etc. The madness goes on. But, if you can at least put Blc Angel (Bc Go x Lc Stop) on a tag, one can get closer to what it really is - and sometimes are fortunate enough that the flower itself can identify which it will be. The name change has affected a lot of plant identities!

If it were Blc Angel, it would be now Rlc. Angel. A date is only applied where a name change occurs and there is already a plant named that in that group. Example, Sc. Smithianum, Sophronitis now a Cattleya so it become C. Smithianum but there is already a plant with that name, then dates say 1931 & maybe 2000. Probably different parents also, so the respective dates should/must be used on the label. Will this happen, unlikely.

Latest posts

Back