Rlc. Susan Fender ‘Cinnamon Stick’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you grow this so well? What is your method?
Hi Teresa,
Thanks for the compliment, but I do not consider myself an exceptional grower of Catts. This is just a great plant. It is planted in bark mixed with large perlite in a large net pot jammed into a heavy clay pot, so there is about a one inch air gap below the net pot. My worst problems with Catts are (1) old media/rotten roots, which seem to be avoided by better growers than me through regular potting at the perfect time (when new roots are emerging), and (2) scale bugs, which take advantage of overcrowding and lax pest control. (I have seen most every other pest known to plague orchids, but these are particularly hard on the Catts.) I use some time-released fertilizer pellets in the spring to help overcome my perennial inability to keep to a fertilizing schedule. It gets a nice full cycle of sun (under shade cloth), which I think is very helpful. Most importantly, I tell it how pretty it is and how much I appreciate it showing me its lovely flowers. ;)

Back