Rlc. Ports of Paradise ‘Emerald Isle’ FCC/AOS (Rlc. Fortune x B. digbyana )

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t get around to photographing outside in natural light until 5/27. It ended bloom today, 5/31, so the color had changed some. Here is a photo from a previous bloom, albeit with a ‘daylight’ light bulb. It was only in bloom this time for 16 days. Usual bloom is about 5 days longer. Not the best flowers as previous flowers were larger/nicer.

Attachments

• AA3F4F4E-7A7A-4E27-A846-3AEE2A8ED763.jpeg
    AA3F4F4E-7A7A-4E27-A846-3AEE2A8ED763.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 4
I remember we were talking about this one at the vos show setup is this the one you raised from a seedling? Mine's buds got chomped by a slug this year.
Patrick

It is my FAV green cat! I had one and lost it to the storm that destroyed most my collection (Afraid to put orchids out in Summer now) I bought it in a shop in Raleigh NC that sold exotic accessories for home decorators/owners. I will buy another one the moment I get an opportunity LOL

I remember we were talking about this one at the vos show setup is this the one you raised from a seedling? Mine's buds got chomped by a slug this year.
Patrick
I don't think this was a seedling, most likely meristem. I've had it since summer of 2018 and it was blooming size then. It blooms twice a year usually.

Thanks...Those are all beautiful, cannot tell the difference.:) What do you think happened?
Time of year, (temps and length of light hours) in the grow room. November bloom was in 72 degree hi temp and 11.5 hours light and one spike 2 flowers. This one 82-84 degree hi and 13.5 hrs light. 2 spikes 5 flowers. I forgot til I looked at the tag that the first spike to open with 2 flowers and had dropped them by the time I photographed the spike with 3. It’s not a horribly fast grower. Over 2 years since repot and still not growing out of pot. Usually most catts are hanging over the side of the pot in 2 years for me. They like my lights, I guess.
Update: I just disproved my own theory about temp/light. The picture with the black backdrop was when the plant bloomed in July of 2020. 3 spikes, 7/5 2 flowers opened; 7/22 1 flower opened; 7/26 1 flower opened. So temps/light very similar. Only difference is, this spike in photo had 3 flowers rather than 2 or 1. So I really have no idea. I will go back and check to make sure my monthly light hours and temps were the same two years ago as I have done some tweaking over time. Now I’m curious myself.

Last edited:
Now, worth the money?!
Yes, actually it’s all relative. Now it’s one of the least expensive in my collection. I became interested in original divisions of nice things and regularly break the bank🙃. It’s self limiting, though as my room holds less than 75 plants so anything I get now, pretty much means I must give something away so I’ve become pretty picky. If Leslie would just stop tempting me with those beautiful splash petals!!! Thank goodness he lives in Canada and I’m in US or I’d be in trouble bribing him for divisions 😉.

Yes, actually it’s all relative. Now it’s one of the least expensive in my collection. I became interested in original divisions of nice things and regularly break the bank🙃. It’s self limiting, though as my room holds less than 75 plants so anything I get now, pretty much means I must give something away so I’ve become pretty picky. If Leslie would just stop tempting me with those beautiful splash petals!!! Thank goodness he lives in Canada and I’m in US or I’d be in trouble bribing him for divisions 😉.
I am a really good enabler and facilitator lol.

Update: I just disproved my own theory about temp/light. The picture with the black backdrop was when the plant bloomed in July of 2020. 3 spikes, 7/5 2 flowers opened; 7/22 1 flower opened; 7/26 1 flower opened. So temps/light very similar. Only difference is, this spike in photo had 3 flowers rather than 2 or 1. So I really have no idea. I will go back and check to make sure my monthly light hours and temps were the same two years ago as I have done some tweaking over time. Now I’m curious myself.
Thanks. All growing conditions must have been met. There must be some variables that only your flower knows?:);)

Latest posts

Back