Rlc. Newberry Else Hall ‘Surprise’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
C. Lou Gilmore x Rlc. Lake Murray. This plant came from Floradise in VA when they acquired a large part of a private collection (correction, not C & H) in 2018. It was registered in 2010 by Carter & Holmes. That’s all I know, but when Keith Davis saw it in bloom 9/2020, he said it was the best Newberry Else Hall he’d seen and thought it was a solid AM. He asked for a division and said I needed to give it a name. It blooms twice a year, this time has been in bloom since 7/5 with 4 flowers, then 3 flowers and 3 flowers. Funny, I don’t know enough to see it as a great flower but from the photos this time, he said to get it judged. First flowers faded two days before next spike opened—that was the weekend judging happened in DC in Aug!! Now, it will not make it to Sat. when judging happens again!! Oh well, not meant to be….

Attachments

• 201C2658-B8BC-442B-90D3-0060F8DBB05D.jpeg
    201C2658-B8BC-442B-90D3-0060F8DBB05D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 2A67AB48-4097-4691-A0D0-4D81173175C4.jpeg
    2A67AB48-4097-4691-A0D0-4D81173175C4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 3DAAFAE3-92F9-431C-ADAF-339D27F97711.jpeg
    3DAAFAE3-92F9-431C-ADAF-339D27F97711.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 5F372BD1-04A8-443A-825A-FFE2DC84E60F.jpeg
    5F372BD1-04A8-443A-825A-FFE2DC84E60F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Else Hall is an orchid grower in South Africa. She ran an orchid nursery in Stellenbsoch and then George. For a time she was the only orchid source in the area and imported lots of plants from C & H. She was always friendly and went out her way to help growers. The splendid flower is a fitting tribute to her.

It’s splendiferous!

I’d call it ‘Southern Belle’ after your splendid growing skills!

I would definitely say it’s AM quality. I’d give it 85 points!

Wow, I’m really humbled. Thanks so much for all the nice comments. The flowers seem to be nicer in the fall bloom than in the winter one. But, what do I know??!! I didn’t think these flowers were as nice as two years ago!! I clearly don’t see like a judge. It’s not a large flower, I’ll measure it later when I can. I’ll try to post a photo of the flower from two years ago. Was going to divide it soon, but think I might just repot to an 8 or 9” pot and go another year. It will be more impressive that way. That’s the max size pot I can handle in my space. I keep it in the same place on the table every year. I figure if it’s happy there don’t mess with it. Leslie, I’m really shocked by your assessment. I guess between you and Keith, I’d better do what it takes to get it judged. Thanks so much. The flowers (3 left) are starting to be slightly translucent on the edges and will drop real soon, so I don’t think it will survive a 2.5 hour ride to DC tomorrow for judging. I’ll assess in the morning.

Else Hall is an orchid grower in South Africa. She ran an orchid nursery in Stellenbsoch and then George. For a time she was the only orchid source in the area and imported lots of plants from C & H. She was always friendly and went out her way to help growers. The splendid flower is a fitting tribute to her.
Yes, Keith told me the story but I didn’t remember. Thanks for telling it.

Beautiful, love the color intensity. Looks like a happy, healthy plant too, congrats on the great culture!

It’s splendiferous!

I’d call it ‘Southern Belle’ after your splendid growing skills!

I would definitely say it’s AM quality. I’d give it 85 points!
I think I might rename it!! Very sweet of you to say. After all Else Hall was a southerner (South Africa) and so am I (Louisiana). Seems to fit!! Re the growing, everything I know I learned from terryros!!

Latest posts

Back