Rlc. Mrs. J. Leemann

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteM

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rhyncholaelia digbyana x Cattleya dowiana.
This is an old primary cross registered in 1903. I was gifted this small seedling as a bonus plant in my first large order with Exotic Orchids of Maui in 2011. This plant blooms twice a year and usually can produce two flowers. Amazing mid day fragrance, reminds me of opening a box of white chocolate, hits the nose on a really high note, almost too much.

This fall I’m only getting one flower this cycle.. and It really needs to be repotted, definitely falls under the category of primary cross hybrid vigor. Need to think about how to better pot this mop of roots.

enjoy.

5553C52B-47A3-438F-897C-BDBD45FA22DB.jpegEA6ADDD8-A8E3-4982-8CC3-99041BDDD445.jpeg

Need to think about how to better pot this mop of roots.

Extremely nice to see the very well-known Rlc. Mrs. J. Leeman

Beautiful colour range with purple around the frilly lip perimeter.

They should also have made a Rlc. Mr. J. Leeman hehehe

For the roots ------ it should be ok to just use a bigger pot, and keep the aerial roots outside of the pot - and pop some of them inside the new pot. Otherwise, can snip them off. But if there is room in the growing area/bench ..... might as well keep them on.

Lovely primary. I particularly like the purple picotee around the lip frills.

These two pics show clearly how different conditions can influence color distribution with light and temperature. Once you flowered them enough times, you can manipulate the conditions to create the 'look' you want. This is done a lot in Taiwan and Japan for shows. That is why sometimes you buy a clone expecting a flower like the pic or demo, and end up with something drastically different. We all have been there.

Very true DLE! I have mini catts that are mainly yellow coloured in the tropics - including the lip - yellow ----- while down in the cold climate regions, they come up with quite reddish lip. Red colours pop out. Light and temperature dependence on flower colour and distribution ------ has probably created quite a few 'exchanges' (after-sale enquiries) between customers and sellers hehehehehe

Back