Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown 'Sweet Afton m. Splash'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthPark

Reaction score
This nice one began to open up a bit this morning. The last pic was taken in the evening. Getting relatively low light levels on sun-down. But at least got 1 pic of the flower for today.

uc

uc

uc

Last edited:
Captured these pics this morning - as the second one is opening up more. Also - just noticed - underneath the right-hand-side leaf in the first pic of this set ------ under the radar! Imidacloprid spray time. Looks like they haven't have had the chance to do anything yet heheh.

uc

uc

Last edited:
Overcast day today - some nice colours still seen ----- with special feature ---- an ant photo-bombing my pic heheheh. Nice to have the locals involved.

uc

Last edited:
Spider-silk and cat hair - courtesy of my cat (for the cat hair) --- mid-right-hand portion of pic - on the leaf somewhere heheheh
Quite bright and sunny conditions at the time of the shot too - revealing those nice extra 'features' - spider silk plus cat hair.

uc

Last edited:
Some nice colours here too. Note the 'white dots' when you zoom into the tepal tips colour region, which are sparkly ----- the sparkle effect seen in many cattleya flowers (when illuminated by sunlight under certain conditions) - which the camera can't always pick up ----- although it does give a nice extra visual effect when seen with own eyes. Even the chartreuse coloured regions sparkle as well. When zooming close-enough (this image) ---- it's actually possible to see the 'white dot' sparkle in the chartreuse regions too. The 'crystalline' effect ---- is quite nice.

uc

Last edited:
Isn't it a nice trait to observe in flowers?

During judging we often times take the flowers out to the sunlight (when applicable and if weather cooperates), and often we see these 'sparkles' of crystalline texture. It is actually the water structure within the cellular structure of the flowers.

Isn't it a nice trait to observe in flowers?
During judging we often times take the flowers out to the sunlight (when applicable and if weather cooperates), and often we see these 'sparkles' of crystalline texture. It is actually the water structure within the cellular structure of the flowers.

It is indeed a very nice trait to observe in flowers.

Thanks for mentioning the mechanism behind those sparkles! Very much appreciated here. I was certainly wondering for quite a while about what is behind the sparkle and glitter, and was eventually going to attempt to find out by asking (or looking around for details) - and kept forgetting to do that hahaha. I have a feeling that there will be significant numbers of orchid fans out there that didn't know what those sparkles are due to. Definitely appreciating your post. Very nice information. Thanks for mentioning that DLE!

Taking a fine looking orchid out into natural sunlight when judging, often causes the colors to really pop and, if the texture is crystalline, the ” diamond dust” to really sparkle can often add a few points.

Love the 'diamond dust' description tomp!!!!! Nice one!

Last edited:
Beautiful show and very well grown plants!!!
I can add we have something in common...

Attachments

• IMG_20211129_212320206.jpg
    IMG_20211129_212320206.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 10
Beautiful show and very well grown plants!!!
I can add we have something in common...

Thanks for posting that nice photo LO69! And for your very nice post. It's really nice in that other members are growing Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown as well. Wonderful results from this cross.

Back