Rlc. Lawless Walkiire ‘The Ultimate’ (Rlc. Hunting Island x Rlc. Toshie Aoki)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well flowered.

Cattleya flowers twist wrongly due to several reasons in my experience:

1. Changing light direction while forming buds
2. Floral sheath too long for stem (may need to slice open sheath to let flowers breathe)
3. Short flower ovary or stem
4. Leaves form a barricade for flowers
5. Genetic influences of multifloral bifoliates that bloom with flowers facing up.

Based on the pics, I suspect reason 2 as possible cause?

Well flowered.

2. Floral sheath too long for stem (may need to slice open sheath to let flowers breathe)
5. Genetic influences of multifloral bifoliates that bloom with flowers facing up.

Thank you, Dr Leslie! While I appreciated the comments on the flower, I was hoping someone would give insight on this.

Well flowered.

Dr Leslie, here is another one in bloom that clearly has two buds that are going to be facing different ways.

Attachments

• 8BACDF2E-149C-43C0-B467-F612BEBCD4B6.jpeg
    8BACDF2E-149C-43C0-B467-F612BEBCD4B6.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1
Is your light from one direction or diffused from above?

In a case like this, I would use sticks to separate flowers to allow room to open, then twist the ovary part behind buds gently to normal stance (take care you don’t detach the bud off). Use a gentle twist holding the stem and ovary in increments of 3-5 degrees.

Is your light from one direction or diffused from above?

In a case like this, I would use sticks to separate flowers to allow room to open, then twist the ovary part behind buds gently to normal stance (take care you don’t detach the bud off). Use a gentle twist holding the stem and ovary in increments of 3-5 degrees.
Light is from above. Because this is tall it is on the end of the table so could be reaching for greater light in center, but I don’t think so. I will try to separate flowers. I tried with ‘The Ultimate’ but had very little success but those stems were shorter. I also tried to twist it, but it didn’t work as I was afraid to grasp the stem too tightly, so the twist didn’t hold. Good challenge for me with this one.

Tip: hold the flower stem with one hand and the ovary (back of flower) with other hand, and twist gently, at 3 to 5 degrees turns. Do 5 times then repeat in a few hours.

Tip: hold the flower stem with one hand and the ovary (back of flower) with other hand, and twist gently, at 3 to 5 degrees turns. Do 5 times then repeat in a few hours.
DrLeslieLe you are brilliant!! I never would have known you could twist it and it would begin to hold the position. I did it a couple of times a day!! Here are the before and after results just 4 days later just in time for the flowers to start to open!! Thank you!! AD1E5527-DF31-4422-B217-39A42C55D99B.jpegC179398E-73EA-4711-9EA6-CEAE98C97498.jpeg

Well flowered.

Ok, DrLeslieEe here are fruits of your advice on correcting blooms facing the wrong direction!! Amazing to me that this worked!
Rlc. Greenwich ‘Elmhurst’ AM/AOS (Lc. Ann Follis x Lester McDonald) Waldor-102.
The photo of the whole plant is so you see the placement of the flowers, after I did what you suggested, but I was experimenting with the light and the color is faded. Close up shows true colors.
98F527D4-9BE1-4491-881B-3D6C362F70AD.jpeg80748895-85C9-4973-8E39-122CF49948A5.jpeg

The same method was applied to my labiata fm. linea-mosca-purpurata ‘The Three Amigos’ few months back. Makes more of an impact when lined together in a row:

View attachment 21679
I think you did a better job than I did, these are perfectly positioned. I'll get the hang of it!!kk Beautiful display!!

Latest posts

Back