RLC Kat Green Power ‘Big Triple C’ (Ports of Paradise x Golden Square)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m posting this because I think it’s stunning and want to share it. I’d love to know of a Cattleya forum similar to this one. I’m a member of a cattleya FB page, but honestly the things that make this forum so valuable are the people who are so knowledgeable and kind (mostly ). The Cattleya FB page does not seem to have very many knowledgeable people and many post in other languages or broken English which makes it hard. It’s mostky people posting pics and others saying “beautiful”. Anyway, I’d appreciate suggestions for this type of forum for Catts.

Attachments

• B6C0DF20-14FF-4E89-B6E4-B57760A08EF5.jpeg
    B6C0DF20-14FF-4E89-B6E4-B57760A08EF5.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 97C5B88B-66B9-4F72-9A14-79D4849EB454.jpeg
    97C5B88B-66B9-4F72-9A14-79D4849EB454.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 19
I don't know of any general forums and haven't bothered with FB.
There are Catt. growers here and I'm sure wouldn't mind sharing
information. That Catt. you posted is quite stunning. I don't think
I've ever seen one like it.

Hi SB, indeed a beautiful flowering. The correct name is 'Big Triple G', not 'C'.

The flower is 30% digbyana and 30% dowiana, so green and yellow is dominant. The red around the lip is from other species like tenebrosa/dowiana and will vary in intensity epigenetically. This means it will vary based on environmental factors (from no red to as much red picotee as yours, and everything in between).

When I use sea kelp supplementation, I see many of my flameas be more intense in their flaring markings. Also with increased light, cooler night temperatures and humidity will make more intense greens.

The line from Ports of Paradise is not very fertile and few hybrids past F1 from here. Possible reason is complexity of the whites used to create it, whose genes when mixed with yellow/green species become too mutated to create seed. In fact, from this plant, only 7 progeny F1 exists. Too bad as it was hoped it could produce massive greens from this line.

It's true there isn't a Cattleya forum that could match this ST. I have been on Orchid Board and Orchid Source forums, and only a few handful of knowledgeable people are patrons. But there are many expert growers out there who don't connect or voice opinions. All we can do is just keep posting and maybe attract them here.

In fact I find quite a few great Cattleya growers here (on ST) who appreciate beauty and have much knowledge to share.

I grow lots of cattleyas with my phrags!
‘Cattleya lovers‘ or ‘cattleya species’ on Facebook offers different things to here. I agree it tends to be ‘look at my lovely flower’ but you get to see plants from all round the world especially from South America. People with heirloom catts, special clones And new breeding post there and I love to see these.

I don't know of any general forums and haven't bothered with FB.
There are Catt. growers here and I'm sure wouldn't mind sharing
information. That Catt. you posted is quite stunning. I don't think
I've ever seen one like it.

Thanks! It came from Waldor a couple of years ago at the NCOS show (the last year they were at Benhke Nursery). I was surprised when I got it home and really looked at it. It appeared to be potted in a type of promix and soil mix!! Anyway, it likes the Orchiata Power + mix it’s in now.

Last edited:
Hi SB, indeed a beautiful flowering. The correct name is 'Big Triple G', not 'C'.

The flower is 30% digbyana and 30% dowiana, so green and yellow is dominant. The red around the lip is from other species like tenebrosa/dowiana and will vary in intensity epigenetically. This means it will vary based on environmental factors (from no red to as much red picotee as yours, and everything in between).

When I use sea kelp supplementation, I see many of my flameas be more intense in their flaring markings. Also with increased light, cooler night temperatures and humidity will make more intense greens.

The line from Ports of Paradise is not very fertile and few hybrids past F1 from here. Possible reason is complexity of the whites used to create it, whose genes when mixed with yellow/green species become too mutated to create seed. In fact, from this plant, only 7 progeny F1 exists. Too bad as it was hoped it could produce massive greens from this line.

It's true there isn't a Cattleya forum that could match this ST. I have been on Orchid Board and Orchid Source forums, and only a few handful of knowledgeable people are patrons. But there are many expert growers out there who don't connect or voice opinions. All we can do is just keep posting and maybe attract them here.

In fact I find quite a few great Cattleya growers here (on ST) who appreciate beauty and have much knowledge to share.

Thanks Leslie. Especially for the correction on the name and the ancestry. The tag was incorrect and I had obviously not looked it up. I did not use KelpMax over the winter, but did start it in May. Not sure in time to make a difference this bloom, though. It certainly has received increased light and humidity as I’ve increased both along with the temps now at 82 day, but only to about 67 at night. I was clearly attracted to it originally or would not have purchased it, but I don’t remember it being this intense. Actually, I found a pic of it blooming in 10/18. Not nearly the same flower. I would have thought this was something else, but I can read the tag!!

Attachments

• D029AD33-F571-496F-906B-9A189B8B5EA9.jpeg
    D029AD33-F571-496F-906B-9A189B8B5EA9.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 7
Thanks Leslie. Especially for the correction on the name and the ancestry. The tag was incorrect and I had obviously not looked it up. I did not use KelpMax over the winter, but did start it in May. Not sure in time to make a difference this bloom, though. It certainly has received increased light and humidity as I’ve increased both along with the temps now at 82 day, but only to about 67 at night. I was clearly attracted to it originally or would not have purchased it, but I don’t remember it being this intense. Actually, I found a pic of it blooming in 10/18. Not nearly the same flower. I would have thought this was something else, but I can read the tag!!
I have seen a few of these and they can look drastically different in lip markings as you have seen in yours. The fun part is next year or new growth may bloom with no red in lip.

Latest posts

Back