RLC. Jennifer Off ‘Joan’ HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the few hybrids that have stayed with me for a decade or more. Flowers are so large (16-18 cm) and fabulous with huge flares and a deep red lip.

It grew over last summer at a friend’s GH and just threw 9 flowers in 4 growths! Best flowering of this plant so far. Very fragrant.

I highly recommend this to David, Southern Belle and Pete! I think Orchids Limited or Hauserman’s might still have it.

Very best of the classic big cattleya hybrids IMO.

71ED53BC-5309-4FF2-9866-0CAAA9842C90.jpeg7D109BEF-56B0-441A-8F9F-E1E63778969F.jpeg

Oh shoot, I put both this and the Lepanthes in the wrong category. Can Ray or another admin move them to ‘Other Orchids’? Please and thank you.

Last edited:
Wow that is spectacular! OL are still debating as to whether they will send to the UK after Brexit. Everything used to go to Germany and then split up for all European countries but now it needs a separate parcel.
David

I live close to OL and have not seen it in bloom there. I know it isn't for sale on the web site. I will ask Jerry if they have a plant. The flamea is impressive. I had thought that Betty Ford 'York' and Norman's Bay 'Low's' were about as good a lavender hybrid Cattleya as there was, but this cultivar is something.

Dr. L.. Haha. I searched all my online haunts and was unable to find it available yet. But managed to find some other lueddemanniana to buy sooo weak.. 😞 Glorious blooming! It’s on the list and I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks for posting.

One of the few hybrids that have stayed with me for a decade or more. Flowers are so large (16-18 cm) and fabulous with huge flares and a deep red lip.

It grew over last summer at a friend’s GH and just threw 9 flowers in 4 growths! Best flowering of this plant so far. Very fragrant.

I highly recommend this to David, Southern Belle and Pete! I think Orchids Limited or Hauserman’s might still have it.

Very best of the classic big cattleya hybrids IMO.

View attachment 26506View attachment 26507
I would also really like to know the conditions (temps, lights) for blooming this.. I’m so confused by this picture with one giant cattleya among paphs and under bulbos... is there a strategy of lower light or other conditions this grower is using to make this plant maximize its blooms and perform at this level?! Or did the grower move the cattleya to a shadier local to preserve the flowers? This is the type of stuff that keeps me up at night.. Everything looks so well grown.

I would also really like to know the conditions (temps, lights) for blooming this.. I’m so confused by this picture with one giant cattleya among paphs and under bulbos... is there a strategy of lower light or other conditions this grower is using to make this plant maximize its blooms and perform at this level?! Or did the grower move the cattleya to a shadier local to preserve the flowers? This is the type of stuff that keeps me up at night.. Everything looks so well grown.
This cattleya does not grow at the same location as the paphs lol. It grows hung up in the rafters, getting good light. The grower here is an exceptional cattleya culturist and a fellow AOS judge too.

Is that mix clay balls, charcoal and large bark? In plastic. Does the grower have anything specific they use in that pot. Roots must be really happy. excellent growing, please share if you have any details.

Is that mix clay balls, charcoal and large bark? In plastic. Does the grower have anything specific they use in that pot. Roots must be really happy. excellent growing, please share if you have any details.
Yes the mixture is as you mentioned Pete. Roots are always guided back into pots.

The whole pot is hung up on rafters in a plastic plant holder (for the houseplants like spider plant) and sits in a plastic tray. They are watered once a week and water is left to sit in tray. This tray water dries in a few days, whose moisture draws roots into pot. So a little water is always in tray for about 3-4 days. In winter, the drying period might be longer like 10 days between watering.

Yes the mixture is as you mentioned Pete. Roots are always guided back into pots.

The whole pot is hung up on rafters in a plastic plant holder (for the houseplants like spider plant) and sits in a plastic tray. They are watered once a week and water is left to sit in tray. This tray water dries in a few days, whose moisture draws roots into pot. So a little water is always in tray for about 3-4 days. In winter, the drying period might be longer like 10 days between watering.
Thanks DrLeslieEe for asking your grower and digging up the details. Interesting. One more question. Does the grower keep anything like a styrofoam buffer or another type of inorganic at the bottom of the pot?

Thanks DrLeslieEe for asking your grower and digging up the details. Interesting. One more question. Does the grower keep anything like a styrofoam buffer or another type of inorganic at the bottom of the pot?
Yes I completely forgot! Apologies....

There is a 2 cm layer of styrofoam pieces at bottom to prevent mix from rotting. Roots will often grow into the tray water!

Latest posts

Back