Rlc. George King 'Serendipity' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
Having a slow year for slippers given all the bud blasting in late fall/early winter from treating for a recurrent thrip infestation. Thankfully, my cattleyas have seemed completely unperturbed, and I've been able to enjoy some blooms. This is the first blooming for me of an original division of Rlc. George King 'Serendipity' AM/AOS, registered in 1970. The cross is Buttercup x Bob Betts. This plant is pretty well known, and has been mericloned many many times, but original divisions are supposed to grow larger and hold more flowers when mature (so I've heard). Indeed, the older bulbs on this plant are massive, some of the largest I've seen on any catt. Hopefully, I'll be able to grow it well. It's been really fun to watch the color changes on this flower and it's been quite difficult to capture them on my camera. It opens a sort of antique, dusty looking gray-pink and has been picking up more and more peach/apricot undertones. A wonderful scent has just kicked in as well, that to me is a dead ringer for a David Austin rose. There likely won't be any further photo updates, because while I had it out to photograph it took a tumble off the table and landed upside-down. The leaves are all broken, and the flowers are pretty banged up.....sigh......At least I got to enjoy it for a few days!Pink.jpegPeach 2-19.jpegGeorge King.jpgGeorge King 2.jpg

I can certainly see (and smell) what all the fuss is about, it’s really an amazing flower. I’m kind of surprised it never got an FCC, it certainly seems deserving to my untrained eye. Fingers crossed it bounces back quickly, I’d like to see more blooms soon! How is your plant doing?
I feel for your mishap! At least catts are tough things and will recover. This clone is about my favourite hybrid. The scent is like nothing else I’ve grown.

It somehow always seems to happen to the plants I have been waiting the longest/am most excited to see in bloom.
My expletives are quite loud too when I accidentally harm my plants like breaking buds, knocking them over, and seeing a stem rot. 😇

Yes, I have some time on my hands. It took a lot of hard work and 'Serendipity' to achieve the coloration in George King. Even by 1970 when George King was registered, there were 15 different species in the breeding background! Compare that to Cattleya Horace (of 'Maxima' fame) registered in 1938 with only 6 species in its background.

I think that comes mostly from the Buttercup parent. As far as I know, Bob Betts is a relatively “simple” cross. If I’m not mistaken, there are only 3 species in the background of Bob Betts.
Yes, I have some time on my hands. It took a lot of hard work and 'Serendipity' to achieve the coloration in George King. Even by 1970 when George King was registered, there were 15 different species in the breeding background! Compare that to Cattleya Horace (of 'Maxima' fame) registered in 1938 with only 6 species in its background.

Latest posts

Back