Rlc. Gene Crocker ‘Red Empress’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leslie, my Cattleya collection is mostly species and primary hybrids and I am trying to have a rationale for what complex hybrids I have. Some have sentimental value, like the Betty Ford I bought for my father-in-laws funeral and kept. What rationale guides what hybrids you have?

What rationale guides what hybrids you have?
May I dare a guess? In the case of this actual hybrid, I would propose, that the perfection of its flowers in regard to colour, intensity and form might have been what attracted Leslie in the first place. And if it has a scent, that might have been an added bonus.
Judging from Leslie's Phalaenopsis hybrids, some of his other hybrids might also be characterized by some intense, pang colours - and then, I suspect, he might have (quite) a few iconic, classic hybrids, and maybe one or two refined hybrids, that are rare and difficult, bordering on the impossible, to get hold of.

How am I doing, Leslie? 😁

May I dare a guess? In the case of this actual hybrid, I would propose, that the perfection of its flowers in regard to colour, intensity and form might have been what attracted Leslie in the first place. And if it has a scent, that might have been an added bonus.
Judging from Leslie's Phalaenopsis hybrids, some of his other hybrids might also be characterized by some intense, pang colours - and then, I suspect, he might have (quite) a few iconic, classic hybrids, and maybe one or two refined hybrids, that are rare and difficult, bordering on the impossible, to get hold of.

How am I doing, Leslie? 😁
Jens, you are very close.

Color is my primary focus. That's why flameas and albescent are my 'kinks' lol.

Leslie, my Cattleya collection is mostly species and primary hybrids and I am trying to have a rationale for what complex hybrids I have. Some have sentimental value, like the Betty Ford I bought for my father-in-laws funeral and kept. What rationale guides what hybrids you have?
Terry, I rarely collect hybrids. I find them too gaudy, intense and 'in your face', esp the new hybrids. I adore the older ones esp the heirlooms and best of their color class from the 'good old days' like Persepolis, Bow Bells, Empress of Mercury and Alma Kee's. Those ones were the pinnacle of perfection for their color class, and still command attention amongst the new kids (catts lol) on the block.

I only have 3 cattleya hybrids now (rid all the others due to space); Gene Crocker (because I like the Chinese red 'ang pow' color when I saw it, blooms 3-4 times a year, as well as being almost a mini-catt), Jennifer Off (because it has spectacular flares, plus I dragged it all the way from Hauserman's about 20 years ago) and a lucasiana hybrid (because of the contrasting yellow canary lip against a bright pink flower).

Thanks, Leslie. I similarly thought I would only have an older proven hybrid in each color class and devote the rest of my space to species and some excellent primary hybrids. I am starting to figure out some sources for the hard to find species. Jerry Fischer has had an interest in remaking the primary hybrids that haven't been seen for a long time and there are more in the lab to come. Space will always be my big problem so I know that I will have to get rid of things that I now think are nice in order to have room for things that are better.

Latest posts

Back