Rlc Chyong Guu Chaffinch 'Sunset Blaze' - the difficulty breeding large, yellow Cattleyas

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My only success with a large, full, strongly yellow Cattleya flower has been with Rlc. Chyong Guu Chaffinch ‘Sunset Blaze’, which just opened again with two flowers about 14.5 cm horizontal natural spread. The tips of the petals and sepals curve posteriorly, reducing the measured width of the flower.

IMG_2088.jpeg

What I have read suggests that breeding for large flowered yellow Cattleyas is difficult. Chadwick’s description of the problem and the development of the outstanding Rlc. Williette Wong ‘The Best’ can be found through this link:

https://chadwickorchids.com/content/best-yellow-cattleya
Williette Wong was (Tassie Barbero x Toshie Aoki) and was registered by Orchids of Waianae in 1990. There are 18 species in the background (dowiana about 60%). Only three cultivars have been awarded with ‘The Best’ receiving an AM in 1999. It had two flowers with horizontal natural spread of 14.7 cm.

My Williette Wong ‘The Best’ perished under my beginner hands many years ago and I did not replace it. I have not yet bloomed my Cattleya dowiana var. aurea, Rlc. Ann Cleo ‘Lea’, or Rlc. Toshie Aoki ‘Pizzaz’ that should all have some yellow. I have been blooming a good Cattleya Triumphans (dowiana x rex) for several years, but the color is not a vibrant yellow and the form is more open.

Chyong Guu Chaffinch was registered in 1994 by C.F. Tsao as (Yellow Ball x Sunset Bay). There are 14 species in the background (dowiana about 40%). Only three cultivars of this hybrid have been awarded with the highest AM points to ‘Suzanne’ in 2003. It had two flowers per inflorescence with a horizontal natural spread of 14.7 cm. ‘Sunset Blaze’ has not been awarded.

Rlc Kelsi Ikeda (Chyong Guu Chaffinch x Williete Wong) was registered by Akatsuka Orchid Gardens in 2012. No cultivars of this cross have been awarded, but I can find pictures of several cultivars online and interestingly the red/magenta coloration of the labellum is almost gone as can be seen in this picture of ‘Volcano Sunshine’ on the Akatsuka web site:

https://akatsukaorchid.com/rlc-kelsi-ikeda-volcano-sunshine/
There must be polyploidy at work or a lucky merging of recessive genes to form such bright yellow coloration in this small group of hybrids. I would be interested in other excellent, strongly yellow, large flowered Cattleya alliance plants that you have, or have seen.

Nice work on this plant.

My all time favourite yellow is Rlc Alma Kee ‘Tipmalee’ AM/RHT-CST, a deep butter yellow with a scarlet red lip. Classic heirloom which was famous in the 80’s in Asia, where I grew it in Thailand.

My only success with a large, full, strongly yellow Cattleya flower has been with Rlc. Chyong Guu Chaffinch ‘Sunset Blaze’, which just opened again with two flowers about 14.5 cm horizontal natural spread. The tips of the petals and sepals curve posteriorly, reducing the measured width of the flower.

View attachment 32730

What I have read suggests that breeding for large flowered yellow Cattleyas is difficult. Chadwick’s description of the problem and the development of the outstanding Rlc. Williette Wong ‘The Best’ can be found through this link:

https://chadwickorchids.com/content/best-yellow-cattleya
Williette Wong was (Tassie Barbero x Toshie Aoki) and was registered by Orchids of Waianae in 1990. There are 18 species in the background (dowiana about 60%). Only three cultivars have been awarded with ‘The Best’ receiving an AM in 1999. It had two flowers with horizontal natural spread of 14.7 cm.

My Williette Wong ‘The Best’ perished under my beginner hands many years ago and I did not replace it. I have not yet bloomed my Cattleya dowiana var. aurea, Rlc. Ann Cleo ‘Lea’, or Rlc. Toshie Aoki ‘Pizzaz’ that should all have some yellow. I have been blooming a good Cattleya Triumphans (dowiana x rex) for several years, but the color is not a vibrant yellow and the form is more open.

Chyong Guu Chaffinch was registered in 1994 by C.F. Tsao as (Yellow Ball x Sunset Bay). There are 14 species in the background (dowiana about 40%). Only three cultivars of this hybrid have been awarded with the highest AM points to ‘Suzanne’ in 2003. It had two flowers per inflorescence with a horizontal natural spread of 14.7 cm. ‘Sunset Blaze’ has not been awarded.

Rlc Kelsi Ikeda (Chyong Guu Chaffinch x Williete Wong) was registered by Akatsuka Orchid Gardens in 2012. No cultivars of this cross have been awarded, but I can find pictures of several cultivars online and interestingly the red/magenta coloration of the labellum is almost gone as can be seen in this picture of ‘Volcano Sunshine’ on the Akatsuka web site:

https://akatsukaorchid.com/rlc-kelsi-ikeda-volcano-sunshine/
There must be polyploidy at work or a lucky merging of recessive genes to form such bright yellow coloration in this small group of hybrids. I would be interested in other excellent, strongly yellow, large flowered Cattleya alliance plants that you have, or have seen.
Terry I got this from OL about the same time you did (at least 3 years ago) and it has struggled. I’ve managed to save it, but it’s still in a 3.5” pot and has nit bloomed yet. Thanks for the photo and details. I don’t remember the clonal name but am pretty sure we got the same one. Was it a meristem?

I am sure it is a mericlone. It hasn't been awarded, but I like the looks of this cultivar more than the few others that have been awarded. My plant is now large with two growing leads. One is in sheath now while the other new growth is only about 10 cm. Really strange how we each have had some of the same plants and one struggles for one and thrives for another. Our conditions aren't that different. I would not be able to sign a petition claiming "Orchids are easy!" Too many variables and when a plant is set back by something, it can take years to come back.

Yes, I agree. It was interesting to me that I would be struck by a plant Jerry was offering and get it, only to find out a few months later you had gotten it too. Interesting how similar our tastes were then, and how you later gravitated toward species (with exceptions) and I toward large flowered hybrids (with exceptions).

I am sure it is a mericlone. It hasn't been awarded, but I like the looks of this cultivar more than the few others that have been awarded. My plant is now large with two growing leads. One is in sheath now while the other new growth is only about 10 cm. Really strange how we each have had some of the same plants and one struggles for one and thrives for another. Our conditions aren't that different. I would not be able to sign a petition claiming "Orchids are easy!" Too many variables and when a plant is set back by something, it can take years to come back.
I just looked mine up and this is what mine is:
Rlc. Chyong Guu Chaffinch 'Tsa Hsin' (Rlc. Yellow Ball x Rlc. Sunset Bay (Miyamoto). So now it will be very interesting when mine blooms. I hope it’s as nice as yours.

‘Ta-Hsin’ was given an AM in 2001, so it looks like you have a different cultivar from mine. The award picture/description of ‘Ta-Hsin’ looks/sounds very similar to ‘Sunset Blaze’ but you get to have an awarded plant! You wouldn’t think they would grow much different, but it seems like we each have gotten plants of something that just won’t grow no matter what we do.

Latest posts

Back