RIP Stephen Hawking

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Berthold
I did wonder whether you would play the ‘local Cambridge ‘ card.
I am not so parochial.
Anyway ‘speculation’ for theoretical physicists is part of the game.
It didn’t stop Professor Higgs from speculating about his bosun and that was then found and then he received his Nobel prize!
David

Berthold has no ability to adapt to change...he has no intelligence...just anger and he is fraught with scientific jealousy
Come back to this discussion after You have Your Master degree in physics. Then You will have better understanding of the subjects.

Berthold
It didn’t stop Professor Higgs from speculating about his bosun and that was then found and then he received his Nobel prize!
David
You are right, David, I agree.
But until verification of speculation theory remains speculation.
And speculation is not price worth.

Come back to this discussion after You have Your Master degree in physics. Then You will have better understanding of the subjects.

Don't you love it when an irrelevant, dried up scant of a blow hard shows up and makes a remembrance all about himself....Imagine Berthold showing up to a memorial or a funeral

Berthold has no ability to adapt to change...he has no intelligence...just anger and he is fraught with scientific jealousy

As this thread is meant to honour Stephen Hawking, I won't say what I really wished to say, but I agree.

(Don't know whom to credit this photograph.)

Perhaps happiness makes the difference between people, if they have been loved and could give love.

Last edited:
Berthold
David

Back to the topic:

Yes, not only for theoretical physics, also for religion.

Also Jesus Christ had a lot of insights in manufacture of the world.
But his theory about existence of a so called God could never be verified.
And very clever is to define the features of this God in that way, that his existence principally never can be confirmed.

Today Jesus Christ would be biggest Pop Star of all times.

Out of respect for Stephen Hawking and everyone who has died, please dont respond anymore ..this is getting ridiculous

Undoubtedly Stephen Hawking was the best businessman among physicists.
My respect.

Hawking predicted the end of the world 100 years ahead. We still have 98 years left.

I think he had his knowledge of the end of the world from Jehovah's Witnesses.

But what should we take with us when we emigrate to Mars?

Last edited:
"Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built."

Abraham Lincoln

Another way of saying this is -- Don't try to pump yourself up by tearing down others. It doesn't work.

"Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built."

Abraham Lincoln

Another way of saying this is -- Don't try to pump yourself up by tearing down others. It doesn't work.
Oh fine, SlipperFan is the new forum philosopher.
Do we have a forum psychiatrist also?

Very entertaining lol... RIP Stephen H.
Yes, he was.

Hawking has said a lot of nonsense about the demise of humanity, worse than many sect leaders.
I am surprised that the media have read every word from his lips and published it as a new sensation.

Nice of you to call me a philosopher, Berthold. According to my dictionary, a philosopher is a thinker, and (among other things) a wise (person). We can use more of that here. Said without sarcasm.

Nice of you to call me a philosopher, Berthold. According to my dictionary, a philosopher is a thinker, and (among other things) a wise (person). We can use more of that here. Said without sarcasm.

I fully agree, Dot.:) I have the same dictionary.

Do we have a forum psychiatrist also?

I can only humbly offer my poor service as a clinical psychologist working many years in the pscyhiatric field.

And as much as I like and endorse Berthold's nice contributions regarding orchids (e.g. the photos of the delicate and rare dendrobium vietnamense and the exquisite and spectacular well grown Clowesia dodsoniana), in the field of discussing other topics (like climate change and now obviously also physics) my clear advice would be: don't feed his belligerent side by commenting in any way on his statements on these matters, no matter how obnoxious or emotionally upsetting you may find them!

Like anybody else he is entitled to his views, but one has the sense, that he, in these more 'political' matters, is deliberately wording them in a way to provoke - and in the case of the demise of mr. Hawkins on purpose sadly seems to choose to not show consideration for the emotions of people, who feel a genuine sense of bereavement by mr. Hawkins death. Some might see Berthold's behaviour in this case as an inappropriate lack of decorum, others as down right bad taste.

No matter what, like the proverbial and pathological stalker, Berthold seems to thrive on any kind of response or feedback - indeed, negative response only spurs him on to further upsetting remarks. If you disagree with him, please, simply ignore him! In this way you rob him of the satisfaction, that the expression of your emotional distress would give him!

Kind regards,
Jens

I can only humbly offer my poor service as a clinical psychologist working many years in the pscyhiatric field.

And as much as I like and endorse Berthold's nice contributions regarding orchids (e.g. the photos of the delicate and rare dendrobium vietnamense and the exquisite and spectacular well grown Clowesia dodsoniana), in the field of discussing other topics (like climate change and now obviously also physics) my clear advice would be: don't feed his belligerent side by commenting in any way on his statements on these matters, no matter how obnoxious or emotionally upsetting you may find them!

Like anybody else he is entitled to his views, but one has the sense, that he, in these more 'political' matters, is deliberately wording them in a way to provoke - and in the case of the demise of mr. Hawkins on purpose sadly seems to choose to not show consideration for the emotions of people, who feel a genuine sense of bereavement by mr. Hawkins death. Some might see Berthold's behaviour in this case as an inappropriate lack of decorum, others as down right bad taste.

No matter what, like the proverbial and pathological stalker, Berthold seems to thrive on any kind of response or feedback - indeed, negative response only spurs him on to further upsetting remarks. If you disagree with him, please, simply ignore him! In this way you rob him of the satisfaction, that the expression of your emotional distress would give him!

Kind regards,
Jens

Jens, first You should take a closer look at Hawkin's claims instead of getting lost in psychoanalysis.

When Hawkins predicts the demise of mankind, he is worshiped as a Savior by many forum visitors.
In Saudi Arabia, predicting the future is forbidden and punishable by death.
Jens, don't You think a middle way would be the right one?
And that's independent of my personal psychological condition.

Last edited:
Back