Rhodohypoxis sp.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
In an effort to post as many off topic threads as possible, here are some pics of some non-orchid plants that I have blooming right now. :)

These are Rhodohypoxis, native to South Africa. They sprout from tiny tubers that look like carrots, and they grow to 4 inches tall before blooming profusely with dime sized iris-like blooms.

rhodohypoxis1.jpg

Group shot: milloides, baurii cv. 'Apple Blossom', baurii cv. 'Fred Broome'

rhodohypoxis2.jpg

Rhodohypoxis milloides: the tallest at almost 5 inches

rhodohypoxis3.jpg

Rhodohypoxis baurii cv. 'Apple Blossom'

rhodohypoxis4.jpg

Rhodohypoxis baurii cv. 'Fred Broome'

This is my first year growing them, and they couldn't be easier. Plant, water and enjoy! They are planted in 4 inch bonsai trays with african violet soil. During the winter they need cool and dry dormancy. They multiply every year, like most tuberous plants.

They are said to be quite common in European gardens, but I had a heck of a time finding them for sale in the U.S. I purchased these from Big Dipper Farm http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin/searchstuff.pl?Botanical=Rhodohypoxis They were $8.99 for a small clump of tubers like you see in my photos.

I hope you like them.

They're also sold (or at least used to be sold) by Siskiyou nursery in Oregon...good company, just expensive shipping for those of us on the east coast. .............Eric

I've killed at least a dozen of these at various times over the last 20 years. They're very hard to resist when you see them in bloom. I think the problem here is that I just can't keep them dry enough in Winter.

As much as I would love to have someplace to garden outdoors, I really like having an indoor growing space.

I might give them a try outside against a South facing wall of the house. I'm pushing it a little being in zone 6

I might give them a try outside against a South facing wall of the house. I'm pushing it a little being in zone 6

This is exactly what I'm weighing... My mom might really enjoy a milloides surprise, but she'd be working with the same zone and location. The Bletilla are really happy there and she's a far better grower than I, so my guess is it'd be a fine present.

It's fun to see something that's completely new to me--thanks! Very jewel-like flowers, graceful leaves too... :)

Latest posts

Back