Reptile experts- help!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamD

Catasetinae Crazed
Reaction score
Found this little guy in the sticky trap in my garage, some googling led me to believe it's in the nerodia family of water snakes, maybe a copper bellied water snake. I live 5 miles west of the Mississippi, mid Missouri. What do you think it is?

It was never my intention to catch him, poor guy. We have a few from time to time. It seems they're thick this year. Turtles, too. This one doesn't have the markings of a rat snake though

Poor little guy, take it to a pet shop, reptile shop, or animal rescue center, they could probably help

As Eric said, use Mineral Oil, or even vegetable oil. It takes awhile; but, it softens and loosens the glue, enabling the animal to wriggle loose. Once the snake is off, normal movement will coat the sticky parts of it's body with dust/debris and once that's happened, it will be able to move normally. Then, the next time it sheds it's skin, it'll be rid of it all.

Also, open the trap and secure it down. It's as easy as using a staple gun to hold it firmly to a board. That way, as the snake struggles to get unstuck, it can get some leverage to pull away from the sticky surface. Make sure that you cover the entire sticky surface with the oil so that the snake does not just get itself more stuck.

Latest posts

Back